The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leaning RN Box
Hi All - me again

While I am on a roll can I ask for advice on rear suspension?

Alice has leaned a little to Starboard (that's offside to you non-nautical types) forever. The lean is apparent, though less so, from the front as well. Everybody who has looked at it says what I need is a matched pair of rear springs. If I push the body up from the offside the body lifts and stays level until I get in again, so something in the dampers is far from friction free I guess.

Is there any mileage in overhauling the dampers and seeing where that gets me? Confused
Can only speak from my own experience, but Ruby had a distinct lean to port or near side whichever you prefer. It was there from the first day I purchased her and as you say you push it back into position and it stayed there until someone got in and it then settled back into it’s lean again.
I purchased two new rear springs from Ian Dunford a few years back now and fitted new friction discs and rebuilt the rear dampers and she has sat perfectly upright ever since.
My own opinion is that it was a spring problem rather than a damper issue.
Thanks Denis - I think that probably sums up my position and feeling. The dampers need doing anyway, but only replacement springs will effect a cure I think.
It's a lot of work, but if you swap the springs over left to right and the lean also swaps sides, it's the springs. I'd strip and check the dampers first.
Just thinking out loud and in ignorance, I’m not sure how the dampers would affect the ride height for any great length of time unless one side was locked solid.
Can you not simply uncouple the dampers completely and then bounce the vehicle up and down a few times if it still sits to one side I would guess it’s the springs.
We have one set of new RN road springs in stock - ready to go out today.

please email info@albaaustins.co.uk or phone 01419428037 for more information.
Thanks all. That gives me ideas to test further before I go down the replacement springs route, although I have messaged Ruairidh to see what the damage would be.

That sounds like a plan Denis -thank you
For what it's worth, I had a few old springs re-set over the years but having tried the Dunford springs I'd say they're a sound investment - well worth the spend if you can afford it.
Hi Dave
I had exactly the same problem when I acquired my RN. A replacement set from the Dunfords solved it. My steering was all over the place until the change. Not the easiest job in the world to change them but well worth it.
I put the old springs on eBay with an honest description and was surprised with the result, it went a fair way to covering the costs.
Buy an Austin 7 they said, It's easy to work on they said !
A set of new rear springs is the way to go, they can transform the car.   When newly fitted , the car might be a bit high at the back end but they soon settle an inch or so.  As part of the job overhaul the rear shock absorbers then you can relax and enjoy years of happy motoring!