The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Felt washers
Don’t want to give you a bum steer here Stephen but think I remember you still have to fit the felt seal plate even tho’ you are using modern lip seals, others who have done this many more times than myself will correct me if I am wrong.
Also the seals are a tight fit in the original housing where the felt seal fits (or at least mine were) and having spoken to the supplier I did have to “adjust” the outside diameter a tad, again others may not have had this issue.
I also remember applying a light smear of oil on the centre rim of the seal before final fit up.
Denis is correct, in my experience.
SEE Bristol A7Club  (BA7C) technical site  Rear axle oil leaks about fitting oil seals.  Terry.
Most people these days use modern lip seals, e.g. BO43b for the halfshafts and BL62a/BO88a for the hubs. https://www.a7c.co.uk/spares.php#backaxle
One of the problems of oil leakage past the diff seals is that the pressed steel cup into which the felt fits spins with the shaft and the oil leaks round the outside of it, I have a pile of the circlips with a flat worn on their side. I use the lip seals which fit in the axle tube.
I don't think that my rear axle has ever been to bits, The only dismantling that I have done is to remove the drive flanges to reline the brakes.The axle has felt seals behind the rear wheel bearings and they haven't leaked yet. And yes, before anyone asks, the axle has SAE140 oil in it, topped up until it oozes from the filler plug with the weight off the axle.
This is a benefit afforded to you because you use your car all year round, David, they never get the opportunity to dry out and go hard.

More power to your elbow.
Ruairidh, you are making me feel guilty. The car hasn't been out for a fortnight. The last time I used it was during all that horrid wet weather we had earlier. The Motoring Dog and I went to Llyn Celyn for a walk across the dam and got caught in the most awful rainstorm.
Such a slacker, you’ll regret this obvious neglect!

I can actually hear the 140 making it’s way to the brake linings as I type…
(23-01-2023, 01:40 PM)Reckless Rat Wrote: You can easily obtain tallow - just go to the supermarket and buy a tin of Duck Confit. Drain off the liquid and you can use it to soak your felt seals.  While you're waiting for the duck to cook under the grille, go on line and order some replacement lip seals... spread the duck fat on a slice of bread and sprinkle a bit of salt. It's cracking bread & dripping. Smile

Of course it's equally possible to buy tallow...though perhaps not as much fun!
I have a small tin I use to lubricate taps and dies.