The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Felt washers
Hi gang

I have the rear axel apart and I want to change the felt washer for the half shafts

Do these need to be greased. Or go in dry?

Same question for the felt washers on the wheel hubs.  

Many thanks

Steve
Felt washers need to be soaked in oil before fitting. Submerge them in a pot of engine oil overnight before fitting them.
Thanks

I’ll do that.
Some rebuilders have used tallow to soak the felts as this was apparently used in the factory.
I soaked the felt seals on the rear axle and the rear hubs in Tallow prior to installation but it was not long before they were leaking oil.
I stripped them out and replaced them with modern lip seals on the half shafts and hubs, touch wood to date they have shown no sign of leaking, hope I am not speaking too soon ???
Oh thanks

I'll look into that.. interesting history.
I stopped using felt seals about 25 years ago in favour of these lip seals: https://www.theaustinsevenworkshop.com/p...n-lip-seal

they are a direct replacement and work without any issue.

The problem with felt seals is that they eventually dry out, become hard and fail, as you experienced. The lip seal is a fit and forget replacement, in my experience.
I’ll second that, the lip seals slot straight in and as long as the running surface is nice and clean, no leaks!
You can easily obtain tallow - just go to the supermarket and buy a tin of Duck Confit. Drain off the liquid and you can use it to soak your felt seals. While you're waiting for the duck to cook under the grille, go on line and order some replacement lip seals... spread the duck fat on a slice of bread and sprinkle a bit of salt. It's cracking bread & dripping. Smile
ok.. taken on board... will order some new fangled bits.
Out of interest what do we believe the life to be of each option?