The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starting Handle Location
That's how it was designed.
Hi  All

I’ve tried two methods of repair.  Both successful.  

First attempt involved milling out the old and fitting an old starting handle dog back to front in the hole so formed.  This was held by three bolts in drilled and tapped holes through the nose cone.  Once satisfied I j b welded the dog firmly into place.

Second attempt involved milling out a hole to take a reconstructed reverse dog.  The hole was a few thou smaller than the dog that was accurately turned in the lathe.  Heat the nose cone up in the oven and shrink fit the new dog in.

Cheers 

Howard
My nose cone is worn out too, I just leave my starting handle dangling at 6 o’clock...does that mean i’m In the Friends’ stinky book?
I am sure somebody told me years ago if you park facing downhill with the starting handle at 6 o’clock rather than at 9 o’clock engine oil would drip from the starting handle tube. I don’t know if there is any truth in it.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
(12-11-2022, 12:11 PM)Ivor Hawkins Wrote: My nose cone is worn out too, I just leave my starting handle dangling at 6 o’clock...does that mean i’m In the Friends’ stinky book?
The idea of the horizontal position is that a spring then presses against a leather washer, stopping stinky dirt and water from getting into the engine.

Attached Files
.jpg   A starting handle.jpg (Size: 170.91 KB / Downloads: 113)
I made a spacer for mine from 25mm alkathene water pipe. Compresses the spring a bit and holds the crank handle at about 8:45. It stays there while driving and doesn’t leak oil.
Richard.
Does anybody have a "good" one for reference.