The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starting Handle Location
As is common the slots in the nosecone of my engine have worn over time so that the handle no longer sits at just after 9.00 O'Clock. Well it will sit there, but not if you use the car! Has anybody had any luck repairing these other than by welding up and grinding back, e.g. inserting pegs or screws, or building up with JB Weld?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I took mine to an "artisan welder" and asked him to build it up with some TiG weld. It's easy enough to reshape it once the welding has cooled.
That is my plan. I was looking at a viable in house option that was not a bodge.
The problem is that if it doesn't work the bits will get swept up into the oil. Do it right, do it once.
To repair mine much worse damage I machined out the old area and inserted a shaped sleeve screwed in place.

Thanks
I only need a decent blob on each ear which I can work to suit with a dremel. I've done some brazing in the past and have some aluminium bar stock to hand, plus a Mapp gas torch, so I'm going to buy some welding rods and have a go myself. I shall review the test results before risking my nose cone. Definitely taking a step outside my comfort zone though, but it goes against the grain to pay someone to do something I should be able to do myself.
Would it be awful to suggest you just reprofile what you have there? Would anyone notice if the starting handle sat 1/4" further forwards?
The only caveat I'd add is that my professional welder said that the alloy on the nose cone had quite a bit of impurities in it which made it more difficult to weld up. It depends on your level of expertise Colin, but Its something that'll be out of sight so it won't matter if it's a bit snotty as long as it does the job. Best of luck.
(11-11-2022, 05:31 PM)Nick Lettington Wrote: Would it be awful to suggest you just reprofile what you have there? Would anyone notice if the starting handle sat 1/4" further forwards?

I did consider this Nick, but to get it to sit at just after 9:00 rather than a bit after 8:00 I'd have to take quite a lot of depth away.

If anyone has experience of a good filler rod to use in this application I'd be interested to hear.
so my handle will sit at 9 but if i barely tap it or somebody nudges my car it falls down. i call it my "someone touched my car alarm" while at car shows if i leave the car and come back and it has fallen down i know sombody touched it. am i supposed to be able to drive with it up?