The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Re chrome Headlights
Has anyone had headlights re chromed ?
If so was it expensive 
I have a pair that are basically back to brass and I was considering replacement with a cheap repro set but would like to keep them if possible

A cheap repro set will probably be the wrong size. Headlights of the fifties and sixties are 7 inch diameter. Ruby headlights are six and a half inches diameter. I've never found any 6 1/2" lights new. You can get new 6 1/2 inch rims in chrome from various motorbike spares suppliers. I found that these fitted my original Ruby headlight shells. My headlights are painted.
I see
The ones I have are 7” king of the road
I didn’t realise they were wrong for a Ruby mk2
A photo of what you have got would be useful. Original 6 1/2" bowls were sometimes adapted to fit 7" reflectors and glasses by using a special adaptor rim.
Please see pics attached

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Some recent discussion here which might be useful: Ruby Mk2 Headlights (austinsevenfriends.co.uk)
Thanks Peter
I originated that post however I didn’t post any pics so perhaps I wasn’t measuring the headlights properly
In any event there’s a big difference between 6 1/2 and 6 15/16
Thanks for the photos of your old headlights. In my view they are the correct size bowls for your car. They are nominally 6 1/2 inches. The measurement seems to be the outside diameter of the glass and reflector, a bit bigger than the inner diameter of the rim.

If you use those bowls you can fit 6 1/2 glasses and use standard rims. Or fit 7" glasses and use the adapter rims, the ones that never look quite right.
So, with regard to re chrome , is this viable ?
Probably, as long as the shells aren't unduly damaged or repaired as chroming will show up even the smallest defect. Try Brian Perkins at Prestige Plating in Mexborough. He can repolish and chrome your lights.