The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New owner /special project
Hello to you all,

thank you for the info, advice and positive feedback ! I indeed did not anticipate that the chassis would be altered as much as you've all explained. I do have an extensive workshop and (some) skills, so I'm sure that I will finish this project Smile .

I've already became a member of the Dutch Austin 7 club and I'm sure going to attend some gatherings. Unfortunately they don't have a web Forum so therefore I'm posting here on this excellent communication platform.

Thanks again,
Cheers,
Glenn
The front of the chassis has been lowered to such an extent that I would think the clearance under the engine sump would be insufficient for road use.   There are various ways in which the front of the chassis can be lowered whilst retaining the standard chassis.  I would be tempted to remove the upward cranked section of the chassis to get back to the original chassis rails which look to be undamaged.  If the front chassis forging is unusable, I would get a secondhand one from one of the suppliers and have it rivetted back in place as original.  You can then either have a straight front axle bowed like the sports models have or you could mount a straight front axle above the chassis nose piece by having simple spring attachment points welded on the underside of the axle.    Either way the front of the chassis will be as low as you need it to be for road use.  It is important to ensure that the chassis is absolutely sound and structurally safe before spending a load of money on the project.   I would not be happy with the chassis set up as it is.
I agree with you Malcolm,I don't understand what the previous owner was trying to achieve with that nosepiece on the chassis.I have a car ,standard chassis,on 15" wheels with about 1 1/2" less camber on the springs and the front brake quadrant grinds out on speed humps,having less than 3" ground clearance.