The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New owner /special project
Good morning,

I've always had a interest in prewar cars and especially the small Austin. So after regularly searching the web, a couple of weeks ago I came across a 7 special project which had been dormant for decades. I've restored some cars in the past, but I'm totally new to 7's so I would appreciate any help and info on my journey to restoring this car.
This is what I bought =>

[Image: y4mqK0VEWmdxYaSAm2xmdUodm0vAVoKg4y9jbV5Q...pmode=none]
It has an altered steering arm => 
[Image: y4mHRqCz33f_1JXpB8-I3Arj7CGKhJod6QBHJ-Ir...pmode=none]
And the frame is altered too =>
[Image: y4meQQBzSiJdsYg4OLyIlJe_lJrZ7klmZdEm5ezD...pmode=none]
Also the steering bracket is a little bit special ..
[Image: y4mElRPVTyZVVtgn1vwD7cuDMa5zRl7eiqrIFq56...pmode=none]

It's a 1934 chassis with 17" wheels.

Now, after some reading and browsing this forum, I realize that the frame is already modified and I'm a bit unsure .. My goal would be to make a reliable car to enjoy motoring down country lanes with the looks of a Cambridge special.
So the structure that is on it right now is not something i'm thinking of using, or is it something special ? Is there anyone who recognizes the form and has a picture of what the previous owner was going for ?

What would the ride height be if i would restore the chassis as it is ? Any advise on what to do with the chassis adaptions would be really appreciated as I really want to move forward with this project !

Thank you, kindest regards,
Glenn (From Belgium)
Glenn, it's the earliest lowframe chassis from a Ruby, but has seemingly had the rear spring mounting positions raised to lower the chassis further. You key issue is getting it registered if you haven't any documents, so you want to keep the chassis and running gear as standard as possible to do that - an A7 club will be involved to 'help' you do this... if you are a member.
The more worrying bit seems to be the front of the chassis which might or might not have the original front casting/nose to the A frame. It has certainly been comprehensively changed in height.
Do you have a chassis number?
Hello GlennV and welcome to the forum

I see you are in Belgium, so registration may or may not be as difficult as the UK.

I agree with JonE that it is a Ruby (1934 onwards) chassis with modifications to lower the ride height especially at the front. The radius arms have been curved. If you can find a chassis number it can be dated quite accurately.

I don't recognise the body framework, It looks home made.

The prop shaft coupling on the rear axle looks like a Carden Block type from an earlier car.
It might be that the front adaptions can give a steer as to whether you are going to need to assemble to see if things like castor and camber have been adeptly worked out in the special, or if it's something you would have to assemble to just see if the characteristics were well planned in the first place. Does that radical change of level at the front (with a simple, standard flat A frame top hat section twisting a lot anyway) look a well engineered mod that might make you wish to investigate all the rest a bit more?
Standard Austin Sports chassis' have used flat or reverse springing and drop axles at the front. It is difficult to know what was with this one if it were ever running.
Thank you both for your reactions !

I do have paperwork with the car, so registration of the vehicle will be not more difficult than usual  Big Grin .. It was imported in The Netherlands in 1983.
It has chassis nr 227009. The data plate is still on it.

[Image: y4mBHRHUI1moCYTMOzCZCaydj0Cv-nlJQLBiZyEv...pmode=none]

There are std radius arms and a standard connecting rod included with the parts i got, so that i can change it back if necessary.
It also seems to me that the front of the chassis has not been modified.

So if i understand correctly, your advice would be to assemble the frame and wheels and see what the ride height is before i start undoing all the things that were already done to the chassis. Correct ?

Thank you,
Glenn
GlennV.  Welcome to the 7 world.

A great place for finding information is in the Austin 7 Clubs Association -Archive  free to browse and download information.

I am not sure how the front was to be lowered to match the rear, though it appears that the top leaf is removed from the spring.  However, usually along with softer/lower front a bowed front axle is used (there are people around that can convert a strait to a bowed "sports" axle).  Ah... just seen that the front end of the chassis has been cut and modified upwards to take the spring mount higher up above normal level.
A point to be aware of is that the underside of the chassis is strait whereas the top tapers  down from front to rear....can catch you out when setting up measurements for suspension

Austin 7s can appear at first sight to be very simplistic but a lot of good engineering and often special metal was used so your task may not be quite as easy as you may have at first thought.  A great deal will depend on what skills and equipment you posses.  It can work out quite expensive if you have to pay others to do work and sometimes they do not really know what they are doing so can ruin a good assembly....e.g. back axle.

You will see from the Archives that you have the non-Girling brake axles.
The body framework looks to be angle steel....a much lighter option is to use alloy angle.  With a standard A7 engine you need to get minimum weight possible.
We will be expecting lots of questions.  It is very worthwhile joining an A7 club in your area.  There are also many localised clubs in UK,  apart from the larger more well known ones,  which have their own website where much valuable information can be found.

A7s are great fun to own and drive especially when set up right,

Dennis
Hello again

The chassis number 227009 indicates a date of about July/August 1935, i.e. a type ARQ Ruby.

Here is a picture of the front of an unmodified chassis

.jpg   Ruby Chassis.jpg (Size: 92.68 KB / Downloads: 295)
It will be interesting to see how the standard engine and nose-cone fit in your chassis with the raised nose....(see the above photo) -  presumably it would have to pass UNDER the front spring, but what about the front damper mounting?

Might not be a problem if the previous owner has chopped the nose-cone and done away with a starting handle.

Interesting project - good luck with it.

Just one thing... the steering arm on the right hand hub looks as though it has been bent upwards. This is perhaps the weakest link on an Austin Seven - they are prone to cracking so make sure it's sound.
Hi Glen

Welcome to the forum and to Austin Sevens and to special building!

Your chassis seems to have a quite novel way of being lowered.  The rear spring mounts raised and the front chassis piece modified downwards.  It is difficult to judge from photos but the welding on the rear spring hangers does not look very good.  If the front chassis piece has similar welding you may want to re evaluate whether or not it is serviceable and if a competent welder could render it so.

As Reckless has pointed out any Austin Seven engine would need modifications to the nose cone and probably doing away with the starting handle.

However don’t be put off.  There are lots of specials out there with much more drastic chassis formats and engine choices Smile.

Good luck and keep us informed on progress.

Cheers

Howard
Hi Glen,

You might find it useful to join the Dutch Austin 7 club www.austinseven.nl

David