The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Speedo Cable
Bob, Are you sure you have the cable installed correctly. Strait and in line as it leaves the back of the Speedo with no sharp bends as it leads to the gear box and again strait and in line as it enters the rear of the gear box. I little engine oil dripped down the inside of the outer cable also helps. I have a Mk1 Ruby and have no problems with it getting hot. Only warm to the touch.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Thanks John, I will admit that the joint at the speedo end was a bit loose as the thread on the "nut" was too tight to enable to screw it up tight. I have since put a split washer between the inside of the "nut" and the bush that the rotating cable passes through. On th RN, its a PA type speedo that has its exit out of the bottom of the case. This now awaits a road run.
Hi All

Both my cars have PA speedometers.  The RK has an original Austin cable that screws up nicely at both ends and has not caused needle flicker.  The one on the special is a new cable that, like Bob mentioned, needed a couple of washers to ensure the outer cable boss was tight against the instrument. Just recently the instrument suffered a shock load which threw the main speedometer shaft off its bearings.  On inspection the inner cable, where it connects to the drive pin at the gearbox end was scored and worn. Also the cable nut had worked loose. I can only assume that this had caused it to rub against the casing. A few minutes with a file cleaned up the scoring and the nut tightened and normal service was resumed.

So do make sure that both nuts on the cable hold the sheath tightly to the instrument and gearbox drive.

Cheers

Howard

PS. To the OP, I would imagine that your Ruby would need the 48” cable.  However if you check with the Cherished supplier of your choice they may know for sure and if not may be willing to supply on an exchange basis.  Alternatively just measure the run with a piece of cable  Big Grin.
Thanks
In making sure everything is tight also don't omit the washer that spaces the outer sheath at the gearbox if provided. I bought a new cable to replace a tattered one and the washer dropped off during installation at the gearbox. The result was that the inner cable was trapped and the rotation of the locating lug unwound itself inside.
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
Further to my post yesterday, the magic washer between the "Bush" and threaded nut of the speedo cable was made from a "circlip" of garden fencing wire (about 0.1" dia wire). Pleased to report that the cable is now silent and the speedo needle reasonably steady. It actually reached 50 mph today - but then my nerves gave in !