The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
RP De Luxe - Spare Wheel Cover
It appears to have a non-original locking door handle, a sensible modification from one of the accessory suppliers.  Maybe the owner purchased the spare wheel cover at the same time.  The question is - who might have made it?
Note the wrinkly material, typical of cheap, quite thin, non-stretch Rexine, which would be flexible enough to fit over the spare wheel but had limited life span, especially when used outside.
When I first saw this, I had 1934 in my mind (or at least, a 1934 model) In the back of my mind I had it that the late RPs were fitted with a larger rear lamp as was subsequently used on the spare wheel cover of the Ruby model. Can anyone corroborate that or did I just make it up?

Oh - and I should add, excellent spot on location which I can add to the photo details...
The late RPs had the pork pie rear lamp mounted on the off side.
Hello,
lovely photo that really makes a great contribution to this thread. I am pretty convinced that it shows an original cover on an Austin Seven RP De Luxe (chrome headlamps, traffic indicators and sunroof) as it has the same thin, shiny material visible in the photo of Mrs Popa's car in Brian Purves book. Concerning the door handle... I would say it is an original door handle, just hanging down. As far as I remember the door handle of my car (before restoration in 1990) hung down in the same sad position.
May I use this photo in my PDF documentation?
Regards
Frank
Update to rear lamp on RPs, on page 31 of Rinsey Mills book photo of RP shows rear lamp.
Thank you Bill, that seems to align with my thinking and the evidence in the photo.

Frank - please feel free to use the photo (a credit to the Association Archive as source would be appreciated) but I have to disagree with your view it is an original door handle. RPs had much smaller handles than that as original fitment.

Perhaps someone could come up with a photo of one?

Hugh
Whilst admiring the wonderfully clear image of the RP spare wheel cover I remembered that when I obtained the self adhesive logo for my cover there was a minimum order so I have a few spares, they are 100mm wide.
    If anyone would like one then I will post you one in exchange for four first class stamps ! Please send me a PM if you would like one.

Ken.    
Thank you for the permission to use the photo. I have already added it to the PDF-File and hopefully used a correct quotation of the source. 
As far as the door handle is concerned.... I always considered the handles as very massive and solid (in comparison to other parts) but after I had a closer look at the photo... yes, you are right.
Regards
Frank
My RP had its original door handles when I first had it. Indeed, it was actually illegal to lock ones car on British roads up until 1934! The rationale was that: in case the police had to move it.

As my car is very much a 'working car' (no room for garage queens in the Stepney household), one of the first jobs that I did was to replace the handles with locking handles so that i can at least make some effort to secure the car when unattended.

I have the original handles in a box in the garage but, given that, although I have been up and about since 8.30 (it is now 10.42!) this morning and done a hundred and one domestic chores (including emails etc) I am still in my slippers and dressing gown, so I will dig them out and post photographs later.
I have the original handles on my box saloon and like David drive it everywhere, but have never thought about locking it, I don’t have anything worth pinching!