The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
RP De Luxe - Spare Wheel Cover
Hello,
after I had read that the RP De Luxe version had a spare wheel cover, I tried to find more details about this additional feature. 
What were they originally made of?
What did they look like?
Do some original pieces still exist?
Are they available as reproduction parts?
I know that in the mid-nineties I thought about buying one of the versions that had a reflective triangle printed onto it, but....
Regards
Frank
A very good question indeed. I wonder if an original survives? http://www.archive.a7ca.org/wp-content/u...R_1118.pdf
Thanks for the link, many times this gadget is mentioned but I have not yet seen a historic photo or a surviving example. I have already contacted a German seamstress to reproduce a tool wrap from the information provided by some Austin Seven enthusiasts, they could also work on this project, but... Information and details needed...
I have seen a photograph here on the forum (or perhaps the old one) showing a spare wheel cover and unless my mind I’d playing tricks on me, I think it is a period shot.

It was an RP parked on the verge and I have a feeling some ladies were enjoying a picnic...I shall see if I can find it.
In the Austin Magazine for 1934 there's a fine looking one advertised by Wilmot Breedon as an after market accessory, obviously with the approval of Longbridge.  Very few seem to have survived so I doubt that it was ever fitted as standard. 
Possibly it was briefly planned for the Deluxe saloon so it had a mention in the sales spec above.
If a spare wheel cover was a standard fitting on the new car then I would have thought that a good few would have survived, whatever material was used.

.jpg   DSC06997a.jpg (Size: 31.33 KB / Downloads: 902)

I was lucky enough to find one many years ago and now have it fitted to my  AH Tourer.

.jpg   DSC06994a.jpg (Size: 56.61 KB / Downloads: 903)
.jpg   DSC06995a.jpg (Size: 47.18 KB / Downloads: 900)
That's a handsome thing!
Wonderful! The first one I’ve seen apart from the catalogue shot
I saw one for the first time, at the centenary. It's a wonderful looking thing, but the owner confirmed that it made changing wheels very awkward.
Back in 1958 I had an Austin ten Clifton (1935) rwo seater with dickey and it was fitted with such a cover. Not so all enveloping,but with the polished strip. I always thought it was original , certainly no aftermarket badge on it.
Hello,
that's rather surprising. I have been looking for a fabric solution all the time. Perhaps even similar material used for the roof. Something luxurious like that - even for aftermarket products - did not come to my mind.
The spare wheel cover is mentioned as an item for the RP De Luxe in later catalogues and although the illustrations in the catalogues are not very reliable, catalogue BR_1030B shows something that is certainly not a rubber tyre... it could be interpreted as a high gloss cover and a chromed ring.
Would be very pleased if the "picnic-photo" mentioned by Ivor could be found somewhere... 
Thank you for the detailed information provided so far.
Regards
Frank