The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
RP De Luxe - Spare Wheel Cover
Well done for producing the drawings which make it easier for people visual the various options.
When it comes to getting the trimmer to make one for me, whether correct or not, the following features will be incorporated:
The piping will sit on the shoulder of the tyre. From the images I have seen I suspect that as standard the piping was always white.
There will be a hole in the centre of the face the same size as the stainless steel centre on the RP type wheel.
The elasticated part of the cover will only extend to just beyond the wheel rim, about 10cm, to ease fitting and removal.
Not sure about the logo yet but they do look as if they were metal and riveted on.
This thread has been helpful in clarifying my thoughts over what I want for my car - so thankyou Frank for raising the subject,hopefully the responses have also been useful for you.
Ken.
Thank you for the additional pieces of information and thoughts and for the drawing (@Mike). 
I will add them to the option list and see whether the trimmers have already worked on similar projects. 
One example that is close to what it could have been like (just imagine white piping, hole and printed log...):

[Image: 280984.jpg]
Source: The Model T Club; Post by Lance Sorenson, Minnesota on Sunday, April 08, 2012; http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257...1333938281

Regards
Frank
Hello again,

the more I ask, the more precise the answers become. One hint was really useful and it referred to the old-fashioned production methods of car production in the former GDR. The Trabant Kübel also had a wheel cover that solves mots of the problems mentioned before. The cover has a slot at the bottom and is held in place with an elastic band. The slot does not only allow draining the cover but also makes mounting very easy. These slots can also be found at other wheel covers of the same era.

I updated the PDF-File and corrected the second drawing published yesterday. In the PDf-file you will also find three photos that - combined - show exactly what I have been looking for. 

Regards

Frank

I have a friendly metal-spinner not too far from here who has done very good copper and zinc spinnings for me.
The wheel cover halves are pretty straightforward and if there is sufficient interest it might be worth having a chuck made to spin the half sections in aluminium to be jointed by a toggle-catch brass (or chromed) strap?
Does anyone have detail pics showing how the WB covers are mounted? Or pics of a WB as unmounted/separated parts that could be used as a reference to create a working drawing?
Hi Duncan,
that's a huge step forward... an attempt to reproduce the metal wheel cover. I still hope for some detailed photos of the WB covers shown in this thread. Especially some photos of the inside and lock / closure mechanism. If possible even with dimensions.
Yesterday I went to two trimmers that concentrate on restoring cars and one of them even on DKWs and cars of the very early days. The latter listened to my introducing sentences, got up, went to his huge and perfectly organised warehouse and reemerged with boards showing samples of vinyl, leather, fabric from the late 1920s until the the 1960s. The two photos that are available (and shown in this thread) made him take out  catalogues / notebooks that show similar wheel covers and solutions to some of the aspects we have been discussing here.
He completely excluded the option of a hole in the cover - "only for cars or motorbikes which had a central locking mechanism", "very difficult to keep the wheel's cap in the center of the cover when mounting it".
He will produce a version with a cord - if I insist on a "non-authentic elastic band version", he will provide me with a cord anyway... "no compromise". The price... less than 100 Euros without printing or stitching... "because of the size and the shape - stitching very likely". When I asked him whether the white piping could also be a white reflective material known from satchels or suitcases... he rolled his eyes "no compromise".
I am looking forward to the final result
Regards
Frank
Frank, have you looked at yesterdays post by Andrew34ruby of Hunton Steam Rally, the cover on the grey Opal is pretty much as I described but a bit slack and with a printed or painted logo.

Duncan, I have been keeping my eye open for a metal WB cover for my 10 cabriolet, the outside diameter of the ten wheel is virtually identical to the seven but because of the wider tyre section it would need to be about half an inch wider than one for a seven. Presumably it would not be too difficult to start with a slightly larger disc and make the two halves a little deeper. If they could be offered to ten as well as seven owners it would increase the potential market - although I think ten owners are just as tight fisted as seven owners! The stylised A at the top of the cover would be a pressing I suspect rather than a casting and some thought would be necessary as to the best way of reproducing these. 3D printing ?
Hi Ken,
This is exactly what I have been looking for. This photo will be added to the pdf file and given to my trimmer. Printing makes the process of reproducing much easier. Does anyone know the owner of the car?
Regards
Frank
Interesting replies.... I imagined making a standard diameter and depth of "flat-bottomed saucer shape " covers with a hooked lip and accommodating different width of wheels using a wider joining band (also hook-lipped) with an over-centre or toggle clasp...
This is why I would like to see an example or a detailed photo to make sure I'm not talking through my fundament.
Frank, 
    here is the spare wheel cover fitted to my RN saloon that has been on the road since 1990 and done over 80,000 miles. 
It is the second one as the first one faded. Very garish but on fast roads and motorways you really are seen. The only addition has been some eyelets in the bottom to let any trapped water out.

[attachment=19822][attachment=19823]
Hello, 
Just returned from the trimmer and I now have to find a solution for the logo. I took the photo from Brian Purves, measured it digitally and printed out a test version... only paper... to see if the dimensions are correct.
The version shown in Robert's (thanks Robert) post will be on my a "must-have-list" as well... safety first.

Kind regards
Frank