The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
RP De Luxe - Spare Wheel Cover
Hello,
Since I started the thread, I have been constantly thinking about the advantage of these covers.
In both cases (WB and fabric cover) it is nearly impossible to keep moisture out. I am pretty sure that in both cases (the fabric even more) humidity is kept inside and causes various problems. The only advantage is that direct sunlight is kept outside and protects the rubber, Of course it looks much better and was certainly something to show that you were driving a De Luxe... 
Nevertheless, now come the interesting questions:
How far did the whole thing cover the wheel on the inside? How was it tightened and who can reproduce something close to the original?
Regards
Frank
I drove Lotus Super Sevens as daily transport for many years and the vinyl spare wheel cover I had on the back of one car, which was very tight fitting and covered nearly all the “back” of the spare, as Hedd thought, led to the spare wheel becoming quite corroded and the wheel nuts rusting.

I took it off!
My cover (on the chummy, previous page) is open at the back, the material covers over the tyre but not the spokes so plenty of air circulation. Rusting has not been a problem in the ten years or so that I've had it on there although the car lives in the dry and is rarely exposed to the elements.

I avoid salted roads totally  Sad
Frank, possibly my final observations to this thread ! 
I am confident that an excellent trimmer I have used for many jobs will be able to make one for me.
The cover only stretches over far enough to cover the tyre.
I think the main appeal of the yellow triangle versions was as a safety feature - at my age possible future corrosion will be someone else’s problem !
Expanding the image from the Source Book photograph would appear to show that the logo is not printed on to the fabric but is something physically attached by possibly rivets. Whilst, probably not original I am quite tempted by the idea of attaching one of the early separate radiator badges.
Hello,
after having spoken to many car enthusiasts, I contacted some trimmers, who focus on cars of the 1920s and 1930s. They wanted me to give them some basic information of what the cover looks like. Because there are still so many questions, I created some sketches and a PDF-file that might help to discuss some of the main questions that remain. These questions  - called "options" - are shown in the two illustrations below. Perhaps answers to the questions (photos of genuine wheel covers of that time) which of the options can be taken into consideration or completely excluded can be found.

The PDF-file can be found here.

Regards
Frank
What about 'ringlet' drain holes at the bottom to let water out?
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
Hello Andy,
one of the many remaining question marks... I will put it onto my list for my various visits to the trimmers.
Thank you for the additional aspect.
Regards
Frank
I would think it is quite likely that it wasn't a full cover; if the bottom segment was cut-off horizontally, and the inner covering only covered the tyre then it would be possible to fit it without the need for elastication or drainage.
Something like this:

none of the ones I made (lots) had backs, the elastic or drawstring couldn't cope with the bulk of material. I did make one for myself with a back that exposed the spokes front and rear, and was split at the bottom for removal. It was essentially reversible.
It was complex to make and fiddly to install neatly, I don't use it .