The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sports angle steering column historic modification
I've got a  saloon steering box steel casting historically-modified by removal of the rear foot to lower it to sports angle without a big chassis wedge as per the specials.

With a tiny wedge under the front end , it gives one attachment point at the front, which presumably needs redrilling at a subtly changed angle.

Has anyone got similar in use? i.e. Is it strong enough for use, noting that it also has the chassis side connection for the foot brake?

If it isn't, are there any other chassis connections that can somehow be made to keep it in use?
Can't you weld another foot on to the rear to pick up the other hole Jon ?
Yes Jon, this is one of the many slightly dodgy modifications I made to my low-budget special when I built it 35 years ago! 

However it has stood the test of time with no problems. It has the advantage of keeping the brake pivot in the same place, rather than the wedge method that pushes the brake pedal higher up into the cabin.
Thanks both.
I could indeed weld on the steel, but of course that is something extra to do and I don't have a welder.
I'd be interested to know whether yours was steel or aluminium, Peter?
I'll check tonight but fairly sure it's steel.
Just checked, it's aluminium.
ah - well that's good news, if the weaker aluminium one can work just with one hole (presuming you haven't welded a new tab). Thanks.
Hi Jon

It would be worthwhile ensuring that the column is held firmly under the dash.

Cheers

Howard