The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If only all "barn finds" were like this
"Americans seem to have an uncanny ability to make a complete balls up of redesigning a perfectly good British (or even European) made car."

It is very hard to argue with that comment Bruce, taste by-pass springs to mind!
Black Art Enthusiast
To me it looks like someone has had a low budget, low creativity, pass at turning an A7 into a hot rod. Big tyres, big 'fenders' big everything on a small chassis with extra cooling vents bolted on for that V8 which isn't under the hood.
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
(29-06-2022, 02:29 PM)Ivor Hawkins Wrote: Ooh, I love a Pacer! Did you know that the passenger side door was 4 inches longer than the driver’s?

Not a lot of people know that...

That was a brilliant idea for the US, when the steering wheel was on the left. Having the shorter door opening in the road and better access to the rear seats through the passenger door was smart. 
Utterly counterproductive in a country where we drive on the left. 

C
(30-06-2022, 10:13 PM)Charles P Wrote:
(29-06-2022, 02:29 PM)Ivor Hawkins Wrote: Ooh, I love a Pacer! Did you know that the passenger side door was 4 inches longer than the driver’s?

Not a lot of people know that...

That was a brilliant idea for the US, when the steering wheel was on the left. Having the shorter door opening in the road and better access to the rear seats through the passenger door was smart. 
Utterly counterproductive in a country where we drive on the left. 

C

Here in suburban Surrey where nearly everyone seems to park facing the traffic a Pacer would be perfect.
I don't think AMC had any aspirations to export the Pacer to right-hand drive countries, so for its intended use it was ideal.
(01-07-2022, 09:02 AM)Mike Costigan Wrote: I don't think AMC had any aspirations to export the Pacer to right-hand drive countries, so for its intended use it was ideal.

Does appear that an attempt was made - with exactly the results that this forum has identified.

.jpg   pacer.jpg (Size: 30.94 KB / Downloads: 60)

From Wikipedia:

A U.K company called C.T. Wooler, in AndoverHampshire had been in the business for a long time converting LHD cars to RHD and entered into an agreement with AMC to convert AMC vehicles.[81] C.T Wooler converted the Pacer to right-hand drive by leaving the majority of the steering gear on the left-hand side of the car, and running a chain-drive behind the dashboard from the steering wheel (now on the right-hand side) to the top of the steering column. The car retained its unequal-length doors, designed for LHD markets, meaning that in the UK the longer door was on the driver's side, leaving the passengers to use the smaller door, which "in the typically confined British parking spot was virtually impossible".[82] The Pacer was wider than a Rolls-Royce Silver Shadow and slightly longer than the then-current Ford Cortina.[82]

The British motoring press adversely reviewed the car and AMC soon stopped exporting it.[82]