The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jaguar
As others have said, the company which later became Jaguar, began life building sidecars(Swallow Sidecars). The popularity of the Austin Seven helped to kill(or diminish) the popularity of sidecar combinations and also cycle cars. So Swallow bought Austin Seven chassis and put their own bodies on. Their initials, SS, were used up to WW2, and afterwards, it was deemed a potential hindrance to have those initials. Dixi in Germany also built Austin Sevens, and was subsequently purchased by BMW and became their first four wheel car. In Japan, Nissan used many of the ideas of the Seven to build their first car, but Lord Austin was unable to prove patent infringement. Although Austin produced just short of 300,000 Sevens, I am curious how many other variants were produced based on the Seven. Another 50,000 perhaps?

Erich in Mukilteo
Erich - Good to see you back.
Thank you, Nick. One day at a time. Still feeling pretty knackered and bummed I'll miss the celebration.

Erich in Mukilteo
Did anyone mention Marcos or Ginetta?

Or the idea that Ihle's double oval cowl design came from a quick Austin 7 and later became BMW's famous double kidneys?
Don't worry about the centenary, Erich. There'll be another one along in no time at all.

However, we Limeys are a bit concerned that you're getting bummed. It might not be very good for your recovery (although you might well enjoy it). The term does I'm sure have a different connotation over the pond but this side it means that you'd be driving about in a rainbow coloured Seven, if you get my drift... (or as our Antipodean cousins would say "Brace yourself, Sheila!")

Don't forget the Bantam - the American Austin, also made under licence.
Welcome back Erich! Glad you are on the mend.
Bruce, the phrase you were looking for was a chap being “ a little light in the loafers”
Thank you all. Yes, Reckers, I can see how "bummed" could have a different connotation. The American Austin was also important as it gave birth to the Jeep. Unfortunately, the US Government didn't see American Austin as being able to satisfy demand so the contract to build it was given to to Willys and others. One wonders if American Austin had been given the contract, if it would have survived longer. Certainly, Mickey Mouse's car was an American Austin, and they were used in a number of films.

Yes, lots of other cars roots in Sevens. Issigonis developed his rubber springing, later used on the Mini, with his Seven based special in the thirties.

Erich in Mukilteo
Hi Eric

We’d love to have you plan a journey over here next year. You could take in a plethora of regional rallies and the National in Beaulieu.  OK not the Centenary rally but possibly the Centenary and a bit?

Cheers

Howard
Nick, BMW used the double-kidney grille on their 1933 303 model, a year before Ihle started producing their Dixi conversions.