The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jaguar
Is it true that without the seven there would be no jaguar? I thought I heard somewhere that the creators of jag started out by making bodies for sevens is this true?
Er ! Yes  Big Grin Regularly mentioned over the years.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swallow_Sidecar_Company
Vancvevr: not to mention links to BMW etc, all well recorded on the various history records.
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
On our trade stand at the Centenary Event, the early evolution of Jaguar will be on display. We shall have work-in-progress examples of a "true" Seven, a Swallow-bodied Seven and a Swallow SS2 coupe, the last being effectively a Standard Nine based baby "pre-Jaguar".
Certainly is the case
Also BMW's first car was a 7 built under licence.
Bruce McLarens first car was a 7 which he modified for racing and started the dynasty we have today also
If I remember correctly Datsun (now Nissan) did an unofficial and unlicensed copy
Buy an Austin 7 they said, It's easy to work on they said !
No, Barry, there was no link between the Austin Seven and Datsun/Nissan - see my comment in this thread:

https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/for...n#pid78997

There are numerous car makes, current and deceased, that have a significant link to the Austin Seven; Jaguar and BMW are the ones usually quoted, but there is also Lotus, Cooper, McLaren, Jensen, Lola, Dellow, Holden, even the American Jeep has Austin Seven dna in it!
Hello vancver I think your enquiry is a polite question and deserves a polite simple strait forward reply and that is yes William Lyons did build swallow bodies for Austin sevens and it was one of the stepping stones towards the creation of the Jaguar motor car, but if you need a strait answer to a strait question you will never get it on an internet forum my best regards to you Rob.
Anyone with a good eye for design will see the flowing lines in the Swallow side car which naturally followed into the Swallow cars and subsequently into today’s Jaguar.
A process of organic design evolution — perhaps there’s a hint in the streamlined form of the bird that takes this name.   Or am I getting carried away here!
(08-06-2022, 02:48 PM)Charles Levien Wrote: Anyone with a good eye for design will see the flowing lines in the Swallow side car which naturally followed into the Swallow cars and subsequently into today’s Jaguar.
A process of organic design evolution — perhaps there’s a hint in the streamlined form of the bird that takes this name.   Or am I getting carried away here!

Not, I presume, by an African or European swallow. Big Grin