The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strapping to a trailer
I have a Woodford trailer bought new in 2003. It's the type with holes in the deck for the ratchet strap hooks. I have a set of four short straps one end of which locates in a suitable hole. The strap then passes through a wheel between the spokes and the other end fits in a second, adjacent, hole so that each wheel is individually strapped down. I could post a photo but the file on my phone is too big and I don't know how to compress it. We're away at the moment so don't have access to my home computer that can. I've carried Sevens like this on the trailer for 19 years. Thousands of miles, probably 10s of thousands of miles, without any problem at all. Never bent a wheel, never had it come loose. Always out of gear and with the handbrake off. Agree to check the straps after a few miles although, again, never had a problem there either - famous last words.

Steve
The main thing is to strap down the axles/wheels, not the body/chassis.

Always 4 straps.

2 inch ratchet straps tight but not too tight.

Handbrake ON.

Out of gear.

Winch left slack.

Tie down through wheels, or around axle close to hubs, or around top of tyre/wheel.

I've loaded a thousand or two cars like that over a few decades. never had one come loose.
Has anybody had concerns over bending wheels? I guess due to overtightening or weak wires.
I use the same method as Steve and never had any problems.  After each trip which is usually after a trial and a visit to the jet wash on the way home i clean the straps and lubricate the mechanism ready for next time.
Andy
I use a 3 point system where the rear 2" ratchets go over the axle tube right up against the spring perch, any closer to the banjo is likely to promote oil leaks or worse.
For the front I have a strong spreader bar attached to the F spring extremities via 2" straps and rings. The centre of the bar hooks to the winch and pulls up against chocs.
The recent trip to Warnambool towing the 7 was 5000 k return and over some shocking roads so bad they shook the trailer wheel grease caps off, but the cargo remained steady.
As others have said it is important to check the load fastening. I had issues with the slippery DYNEMA rope tightening on its winch spool over time, quick adjust and go.
That is an enclosed trailer so in the event of a winch failure the Austin would not launch into the traffic (wince).
For the other open trailer I add  2 extra ratchets at the front .
(16-05-2022, 07:46 PM)Biddlecombe Wrote: Has anybody had concerns over bending wheels? I guess due to overtightening or weak wires.

I use the strap setup in the first photo to hold cars (including A7s) down on a trailer. In the case of an A7 I pull the ratchets tight, but there's no need really swing on the ratchet lever with such a light car; there's never been any wheel damage as a result.

But really it's not for everyday towing that you may need the car to be comprehensively secured; but if you have some kind of happening like a mate whose (2 wheel) trailer chucked a wheel at speed, resulting in the trailer being down a ditch at a near 45 degree angle that having the car well tied down really matters. This secondhand drama is the reason I got a four wheel trailer for car transporting.
On my enclosed trailer, I strap on the axle and criss cross so there is control of some movement side to side. I also strap oon the center of the front axle. I also use wheel chocks because I'm a belt and suspenders kind of guy(though I don't wear a belt AND suspenders). As others have said, firm, but not tight. The Seven is a light car and ratchet straps have the potential to bend metal.

Erich in Mukilteo