The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strapping to a trailer
I have bought a Woodford trailer and intend to tow the RN on it to the Centenary Rally, however I have never strapped a car down to a trailer and would value members help. I do not yet have wheel or axle straps and have heard a couple of suggestions that it could be possible to bend wheels with certain straps! I have called a local trailer dealer and he had not heard this and suggested a couple of systems and that the style that goes on top of the tyre might help this. Can I please beg your views and suggestions.

.jpg   prg1076.jpg (Size: 61.94 KB / Downloads: 363)

.jpg   prg1078.jpg (Size: 72.13 KB / Downloads: 361)
Personally I wouldn't strap a car with wire wheels down via the wheels. Doesn't matter what it is.

I always go to the axles. Strap around the diff on the rear, and the front axle under the king pins.

But as a 7 is a dainty machine, don't go mad. They need to be tight, nor so tight that the bend metal.
Thanks Hedd. Which straps should I but for that and how many please?
It's rare that I disagree with Hedd but I shall.

I was concerned about this, especially when you see some straps splaying out at seemingly 30 degrees to the wheel. However, I re-engineered my trailer so that the straps pull the wheel almost inline, avoiding bending the rim (as in your first photo). Works very well and it easier that strapping around the axles, especially if you have hydraulics on the back as I do.
I bought a set of 4 straps very cheaply on offer from an online retailer. Probably that same origin as the sets you see on Ebay. They are fine. If you are new to trailering cars the golden rule is stop after 2 or 3 miles and check everything, And then again after another 10 or 15. 

.jpg   tt.JPG (Size: 120.4 KB / Downloads: 311)

Charles
The biggest loading will be on the rear fastenings as they will be the ones that prevent the load moving forwards under emergency braking. Use ratchet load binders and secure them to parts of the car that are inspiring.
With any load carried, belt and braces is a good philosophy. If it can move, it will.

An insecure load is a dangerous thing.
(16-05-2022, 01:55 PM)Reckless Rat Wrote: The biggest loading will be on the rear fastenings as they will be the ones that prevent the load moving forwards under emergency braking. Use ratchet load binders  and secure them to parts of the car that are inspiring.
With any load carried, belt and braces is a good philosophy. If it can move, it will.

An insecure load is a dangerous thing.

Agreed. 
A 2" ratchet strap with a 5000KG capacity at each wheel (or two per axle) is what's needed. 

c
Charles, Reckers,  Thank you, which style of strap would you suggest?
Peter
I use the type in your first picture. Don't over tighten, it's amazing how much force you can apply with ratchet tensioners.
ALWAYS,ALWAYS,ALWAYS stop after the first half-mile and check the tension on all your straps.
High Folks,
I am afraid that I use a completely different approach.
I just use two straps and the winch strap to hold my car onto its trailer.
I pass the ratchet straps from side to side through the wheels so only the bottom of the tyre is held down.
The front straps pull the wheel against the tyre stop and the back straps pull slightly backwards
I pass the front strap under the trailer frame to help take to load from the catch pin on the tilt mechanism.
My trailer is a small tilt trailer that weighs in at 220 Kg unbraked.
It lives on its side in the garage against the wall held up with a chain tackle and safety rope
Car weighs 470 Kg so totally within the unbraked limit of 750 KG
The method I use does not pull the wheels out of line and allows the cars supension to do its thing.
I never bother to put the handbrake on or leave the car in gear when on the trailer.
I have been using this trailer and method of holding down since 2012 with no problems.
Often on 160 mile trips.
Just to re-iterate:  you can do an awful lot of damage with a ratchet strap.

It would be fairly easy, I think, to bend a back axle tube.

You need only to make sure the car cannot move (much), not to bind it rigidly to make it as if it were part of the trailer.

I usually use tied-on ropes - which should guarantee that you stop and check periodically, and friction type luggage straps - the rope will provide the strength, the luggage straps - that I have used on various loads for many years - provide quick location without over-stressing components.