The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An "interesting" boat-tail two-seater....
It's appears to be a hideous lash-up, but more to the point, the rear brake backplates have been fitted 180 degrees out of position, with the result that the cable is pulling WITH the braking rotation of the axle rather than against it.

I assume that the dealer in Kent was happy to let it go like this when he sold it a few weeks ago, so It must, of course, be much safer than it looks!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

It's a bit of a bag of frogs to be honest and I hope no-one buys it thinking they've got a bargain. I suspect that the stamped chassis number on the LH rail is a later addition because the chassis is later than that number suggests. It's also in slightly the wrong place (a bit too near the engine mounting) and the font looks wrong) the chassis has a semi Girling front end and a short brake cross shaft, which suggests 35 or 36?, so I would bet money on the paperwork being fraudulent. Call me an old cynic but 30 years doing what I used to do taught me to NEVER take anything on face value.

Coppers ABC rule:
A = assume nothing
B = believe no-one
C = check everything, twice
Sounds like a phrase from a 1950s divorce or libel case. “A dealer in Kent..rest my case mi’lud.”
Details taken from HM Gov website. Funny how it gives tax rates for both 6 and 12 months. It thought all original seven were historic class and free of charge.

AKJ861
Make AUSTIN AUSTIN
Colour MAROON AND BLACK
Year 1932
Tax Cost (12 months) £180
Tax Cost (6 months) £99
Tax Status Expired on 16/06/2022

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
John - you have to tick a box on a free form, and then they give you the free tax, if its over 40 years old.
(16-06-2022, 04:26 PM)Reckless Rat Wrote: It's a bit of a bag of frogs to be honest and I hope no-one buys it thinking they've got a bargain. I suspect that the stamped chassis number on the LH rail is a later addition because the chassis is later than that number suggests. It's also in slightly the wrong place (a bit too near the engine mounting) and the font looks wrong) the chassis has a semi Girling front end and a short brake cross shaft, which suggests 35 or 36?, so I would bet money on the paperwork being fraudulent. Call me an old cynic but 30 years doing what I used to do taught me to NEVER take anything on face value.

Coppers ABC rule:
A = assume nothing
B = believe no-one
C = check everything, twice

tax free on this car, might be a bit of a fight to get.

although its obviously over 40 years old.

the V5 says manufacture year 1984, and yes thats more when the paperwork was updated. but add it to the changed chassis number???

could cause the DVLA reason to say no.

shame this dealer cant do better, its the usual new paint job. covering nothing being done to make the car safe, (you might say all fur coat and no knickers). its aimed at those to tight to pay for the correct thing, thinking they have a bargain at a bargain price.

tony
Let us hope that anyone considering a bid reads this post.
I thought there were laws in the UK designed to protect people false advertising and this listing is full of blatant untruths. Private individual's seem to get away with lying through the teeth by claiming ignorance, but a dealer or auction house must have some culpability???

Now I have gone down the Car and Classic rabbit hole and spotted this one amongst others! https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1465929
Black Art Enthusiast
when these cars are SO SO SO obviously WRONG, could you ever feel sorry for the buyer?
(16-06-2022, 11:15 PM)Tony Betts Wrote: when these cars are SO SO SO obviously WRONG, could you ever feel sorry for the buyer?

well, when it is new people coming into the A7 world on the thrill of something that is good value, then perhaps yes? We have all done it and got burned a bit. Is it just part of the learning process (buyer beware and all that), or do we have a duty to do something where we can?
'Buyer beware' surely shouldn't have to apply when it is coming from a business which is representing the dealers which support the Seven. But I presume this is perhaps a private sale now.