The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patent Plate Minutiae
Back home and catching up.. I took this photo of one of the cars on the Eurotour, so it does seem that *some* were rivitted as the examples shown are all very similar...

same rivet - but used with the correct tool this time!! What year was that one, Hugh?
I have just been pointed to this, so it wasn't just Austin who fiercely protected his patents...

https://www.prewarcar.com/395395-bugatti-number-plate
I suppose the price of that Bugatti plate reflects the greater number of patents covered?
Just the Russian one...
more attachment information from perceived undisturbed cars. The rusty Ruby was perhaps repainted (from 1950s to build up that patina?) so wouldn't be reliable dash evidence but an interesting car to look at! Interesting that one of those riveted ones is not aluminium, or has appearance of copper.                
(08-06-2022, 09:14 PM)Hugh Barnes Wrote: Back home and catching up.. I took this photo of one of the cars on the Eurotour, so it does seem that *some* were rivitted as the examples shown are all very similar...

Hi Hugh

To jump from my other thread. This is the adulterated plate on my van. As mentioned the van was converted from a December 1928 Chummy in the sixties.  I’m assuming the plate is original and matches this one of yours.  Note the absence of the last patent on hoods.

Cheers

Howard

Hi Hugh

With photo attached  Tongue

Howard

.jpeg   IMG_0951.jpeg (Size: 97.1 KB / Downloads: 199)
(09-01-2024, 02:30 PM)Howard Wright Wrote:
(08-06-2022, 09:14 PM)Hugh Barnes Wrote: Back home and catching up.. I took this photo of one of the cars on the Eurotour, so it does seem that *some* were rivitted as the examples shown are all very similar...

Hi Hugh

To jump from my other thread. This is the adulterated plate on my van. As mentioned the van was converted from a December 1928 Chummy in the sixties.  I’m assuming the plate is original and matches this one of yours.  Note the absence of the last patent on hoods.

Cheers

Howard

Hi Hugh

With photo attached  Tongue

Howard

Took some time to come up on my computer  Smile

I didn't know that some early patent plates were brass.

I can't abide polished brass bits- or is it just me ?
Hi Tony

So do I, but this one had been polished when it came with the car.  I have given it another polish to try and disguise the holes in it.  I’m guessing a better choice would have been to spray black then use wet and dry to expose the lettering but previous polishing has smoothed out the lettering and I doubt it would come out clearly now.

Cheers

Howard