The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patent Plate Minutiae
One of the things that has always disappointed me about the Cabriolet is the repro (silk screen, maybe?) patent plate screwed to the dash. 

I've been on the look out for an original replacement for many years and though I had found one the other day, but when i came to it this afternoon and I went to fit is, I found it to be of slightly a different size and with different details of the patents.

So I decided to start a thread here to see if we can record some sort of change log of when patent plates changed and from what to what.

I will start off with the two others I have access to, both of which I think are original fitment.

Firstly my 27 Chummy (date of first registration not known) Chassis no 42727

And then my RP, date of first reg, April 1933 chassis number 172204

Can anyone else add anything in with different versions so if we can find some sort of pattern? Bottom line is I am still on the look out for a replacement orignal for my car and have one, everso slightly different, as a swap...
Never gave them much thought but curious what there. As with many 0ld cars I guess it expains relatively unique features (such as wheel attachment).The big end lube exactly as early FN bike. With all the variants to be found in Victorian mechanisms, hard to imagine how would get a patent for tappet guides. Possibly prompted others to run direct, at great saving ! And the front brakes basically same as myriad others. The torque tube cannot be hugely different from many others although are there any others which do not transmit the drive?. Doubt if any would want to copy complexity anyway, altho it does allow for movement. Must have all been a challenge for the Patent Office. I guess it impressed some buyers.
Remarkably, digging though a box of grotty bits and pieces yesterday, I came acoss a rectangular brass plate that was horribly dirty and encrusted with grime. A closer inspection revealed it was a patent plate and half an hour later, after some gentle work with some wet and dry, this was revealed..

Exactly what I needed!

But I am keen to track other examples. The Archivist tells me has has a passing interest in adding something to the Archive web site showing different styles and likely dates of use. He would appreciate any additional help..
Hugh,
For what little it is worth, the patent plate on my own RP (chassis No: 176805) is identical to the one on your RP.
Thank you David. Any others out there? Surely there are more than 4 varieties? But, then again, maybe not...
This is the original plate from our 1929 RF fabric saloon.
It's 4" width x 3-3/4" high.

.jpg   plate.jpg (Size: 366.81 KB / Downloads: 704)
Jim
I replaced the patent plate with one from our cherished suppliers about 35 yrs ago as the one on the car when I got it had a bloody big hole drilled through it (I wonder with some people). It is however the same as the one on your (and mine) 1933 RP. Mine is very close to David's, being chassis 167716
(14-05-2022, 01:35 PM)Hugh Barnes Wrote: Thank you David. Any others out there? Surely there are more than 4 varieties? But, then again, maybe not...

You've already found one more than I was aware of! I thought there was just the small early version, the large 'standard' version, and a small version fitted to the very last cars.

David Howe has added one more - the individual patent plate rivetted/screwed? to the chummy windscreen frame. And that's before you start on any found on bought-in components, like the Rist Horn!

Two patents for bonnet hinges...!
Does anyone have a colleague into veteram motor bikes? I have a small cutaway of an FN and crank bearings and lube seem as Seven.
Well, that makes 5 different examples I have now - 1927, 1929, 1933, 1937 and the smallest one, as yet, undated (perhaps the very last?)

I would really appreciate any other entries. Not that difficult perhaps, to pop out to the motor home and take a photo of yours. If it is different from the 5 I have so far (or, if it means I can date the the smallest one I have) then please post it here. Do we have anyone here with a really early car, perhaps?