The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patent Plate Minutiae
Thanks Jon - I will add that into the mix. I have been told, from one source, that the plates were originally rivetted, so that adds weight to your suggestion of originality.
here is the detail... quite flush on rear        
I’m finding it difficult to get a half decent shot on a digital camera, but this is the original plate on my very late 1934 RP box saloon...I’ll take better shot with a proper camera and post that ASAP!    
Attached with unoriginal screws...
Thanks Ivor!
This 1923 car (A1-1658), and a couple of others with decent pictures on-line, do not seem to have patent plates fitted.  (However, , cannot find a good on-line picture of a 1924 patent plate - they were sited low down behind the steering column and are often partially obscured.)

.jpg   1923 Chummy A1 1658 Dash.jpg (Size: 45.63 KB / Downloads: 135)
Thanks Colin...

I am still in need of the run through the 1930s that are seemingly proving elusive to track down. I am particularly interested in a point when the larger plate moved to the smaller plate. I dont think it coincides with the introduction of the Ruby, but I would like to be able to prove it...
Hugh, the change from large to small plate did not coincide with the introduction of the Ruby. I don't have pictures, but my (early) 1936 Ruby, (late) 1936 van and (early) 1937 Ruby all had the large patent plate. I believe the smaller plate came in quite late, maybe mid-1938, but someone will have the answer.
Agreed, my March 1936 Ruby had an original large plate.
This would eventually make a nice pdf document like the one that Frank Stoll has done on RPs.... a Minutiae series!
yes John..