The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Driveshaft or diff *clonk*
The top ball is usually worn out of round and binds after any adjustment - which is why I always suggest to just grease. The lower ball rarely gets any grease from the top so just pack with grease on assembly.

It is a nearly full antique so a bit of noise is part of the fun  Confused
(15-04-2024, 01:48 AM)Tony Press Wrote: The top ball is usually worn out of round and binds after any adjustment - which is why I always suggest to just grease. The lower ball rarely gets any grease from the top so just pack with grease on assembly.

It is a nearly full antique so a bit of noise is part of the fun  Confused

Part of the fun of the bystanders too!  Dodgy Big Grin The bit of noise is rather noticeable.
Cheers, Geoffrey
Geoffrey,

Lie under the car and work your way down the drive chain starting with the front of the propshaft back to the torque tube.

Hold each part and move it up and down, looking for free movement, the source of the clunk will become apparent quite quickly.

If you find no movement, come back and I can suggest another potential source of the noise.
(15-04-2024, 07:19 AM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Geoffrey,

Lie under the car and work your way down the drive chain starting with the front of the propshaft back to the torque tube. 

Hold each part and move it up and down, looking for free movement, the source of the clunk will become apparent quite quickly.

If you find no movement, come back and I can suggest another potential source of the noise.

Thanks Ruaridh. I've developed a sore back from hunching over the front brake hubs (bad back from decades of very heavy lifting in my younger days) so once that's sorted itself out I'll get back to you all.
Cheers, Geoffrey