The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flashing rear light
It isn't always at night one has to be on guard. The other day, Leon and I went up in the Seven to minister to the horses. I had signalled right (21watt flashing indicators front and rear) well in time to turn into the gateway to the horses' field. As I usually do, I checked the driving mirror just before I made the turn, and it was lucky that I did! Despite my signal, a 22 reg BMW and a 19 reg VW Passat, overtook me at speed flying in close formation. I shudder to think what would have happened if i had not made that last check, but neither Leon or I would have been about to write this post.

I recall, when i was learning to drive, that i was always told that I was to drive as if everyone else on the road was trying to kill me. That is still good advice.
(12-05-2022, 07:05 AM)Lowbarn Wrote: The new Highway Code says flashing amber beacons must be used on vehicles travelling below 25mph or stationary, registered after 1st January 1947.
Rule 225.

So with traffic speeds on the local High Street now being around 15mph should all vehicles be fitted with flashing amber beacons? And what about in the 20mph limit at every school? The world's gone mad.
All the Allelys trucks I've seen have two flashing beacons and are doing more than 25 mph.
I must admit Tony that I was unaware of the The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989. I possibly should have as I was still serving then but not operational and close to retirement. I like the idea of providing the driver with a red flashing light to wear on the back of his/her head similar to cyclists but this would only work on open top models. Mine is a Ruby saloon. My only solution is to go ahead with a flashing light but change my number plate to read the same as yours. Only joking Tony.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
I always run my bicycle with a flashing rear light, out on a 2ft long stalk. Idiots in villages with narrow roads and roadside parking are so keen to save two seconds that they go past at well over the speed limit and so close as to be terrifying. They will slow down for a dog or a rabbit but cyclists seemed to be viewed as fair game. The Tour de France (Yorkshire) made a great difference to motorists' attitudes thank goodness and they seem to give a little more leeway now.
BTW where else but over your eyes would you wear a blindfold Andrew? ;-)
(12-05-2022, 08:51 PM)Duncan Grimmond Wrote: BTW where else but over your eyes would you wear a blindfold Andrew? ;-)

I could wear a blindfold over my forehead, ready to pull down over my eyes. Or on my nose ready to pull up.
I find it very difficult to judge distance to a flashing light or the speed of. In a way are a dsitraction as motorists whilst trying to assess divert attention from other factors. At night large low reflectors have the merit that suddenly light as the dip beam encounters; easy to arrange clip on.
I only use the flashing red light on motorways in daylight, hopefully to get recognition that my Ruby is a slower vehicle before some hoon roars into the back of me.
I agree with Bob C that it could be too distracting at night. 
Cheers 
Graham
Roger Harnor provided us with magnetic reflective "Slow vehicle" strips that went right across the boot lids of our big 7s for the 2012 JOGLE which I still use and probably will use on the Tour. Though in France that might be seen as a challenge.
While on the subject of rear placards, a Bradford van once carried a sign "Abominable Slow Van" If not as old as me may not get it.
I like the idea of a light on a stick for bikes. Will make one and hope no one tries any smart moves on the left (which the Seven did prompt on a couple of occasions!)
Some years ago the lacal vintage mag carried a photo of a large Edwardian tourer with a 3 foot deep impression in the rear. Apparently a motorcycle gang riding abreast and likely with brains additionally clouded ran into it. And a Bradford towing a trailer on UK motorway had the trailer pushed through the van, with very serious injuries..