The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flashing rear light
Following on from the thread about reflective spare wheel covers. Would it be possible to have a flashing rear light. I have a Mk1 Ruby which is still 6 volt and apart from the centrally located rear stop/tail light above the number plate . I have two further stop/tail lights, one on each rear wing. Is it possible to make the central one above the numberplate into a continuously flashing light. Whilst leaving the other two as they are.  I think this would make things safer when on fast roads. I am no electrician but understand basic lighting circuits.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
No, lights must be "steady". But, have you noticed that cyclists have found a way around this? If a flashing light is attached to your body, that avoids the attention of Mr Plod. Though I doubt that, in any case, as most bicycles now appear to be festooned with flashing lights, that said constable would not leave his warm station - where he's busy investigating your Facebook posts and "checking your thinking" - to bother with the six reams of paper that must precede an attempted prosecution. If stopped ..... 'ello, ello, 'ello, what's this flashing business then young man? .... you could claim that it was an "occasional electrical fault" while reaching surreptitiously beneath the dash to switch it off.
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989...on/13/made You might get away with switching it on and off manually, or argue a case for ( c ) - and I'd love to know what on earth ( e ) is.
I have started to use one of those annoying little flashing red lights that cyclists use fastened to the centre of my rear bumper. It was originally so bright, even in daylight, that I think it would have been distracting. I have covered much of it with black insulation tape reducing the light emissions to a level that I think is noticeable without being distracting.
Cheers
 Graham
If you followed the thread about reflectove spare wheel covers, John, then you might have seen that I have exactly this set up on my Cabriolet using a (apparently, annoying) rechargeable LED cycle rear lamp that I find very effective. The one I use has different power levels if you want to reduce the intensity..

I dont worry about the legality of it and have not been stopped and questioned about it. But then, I only use it on busy main roads, not all the time. I think I could argue that I was a safer road user under such conditions and am prepared to take the risk.. Such that it is..
Not sure where you stand fitting a flashing light to a vehicle that travels above 20mph. That said we have used them regularly on our veteran cars for a few years and although below 20mph many years on our traction engine. Although we have sold the engine out of the family now there were times when you felt like a sitting duck whilst out on the road, even with a good array of disco lights attached.
Long flat bed lorries use flashing yellow beacons and exceed 20mph ?? Tractors also !
The new Highway Code says flashing amber beacons must be used on vehicles travelling below 25mph or stationary, registered after 1st January 1947.
Rule 225.

Not sure if this applies to 1931 Austin’s?

We use a rechargeable tractor beacon, very bright. Still feel like a sitting duck even at 35mph downhill with a back wind on the A47!
I've yet to see a JCB Fastrac and the like being driven BELOW 25 mph!
Ask my daughter when she was grain carting.
I find all flashing lights drive me mad. Tractors with the old fashioned rotating amber beacon are ok, but flashing lights on bikes are dreadful. I have to look away.
In the seven I mainly avoid main roads but don't feel vulnerable. Please don't start a craze for flashing lights on old cars, I'd have to stay at home, or maybe I could go out but wear a blindfold over my eyes.
I have to agree Andrew, those flashing lights are dreadful things, I’m sure led lights would be a viable alternative, but I can understand people’s concern over safety, particular at night on busy roads.

Like you, I keep to minor roads when I can, particularly at night, but if I found that I had no choice but to drive at night on a major road, I would consider a flashing amber beacon on the roof...