The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Chummy
"Every time I see that cover I marvel at the lack of tyre tread! Those were the days...."

I remember a Giles cartoon of the early 1960s just pre MoT (or Ten Year Test as it was then) showing old crocks with bald patches on tyres, carpet tacks sticking out of nailed on canvas squares and the classic crossed Elastoplast strips as puncture repairs...

My brother in-law (now 80) tells me of buying a wreck of an Austin 7 MoT failure in the early '60s and commuting from Southend to central London until it broke down at which point he pushed it into a hedge and hitch-hiked home to buy another one for 50/- (£2.50)
JonE, I know where to get hold of the owner, but have no contact details for him I am sure that I could leave a note for him at the museum.
next time you are passing.... :-) Its unimportant, but similarly, the more that get added in Centenary years the better...
hes had it years. He used to (perhaps still does) live in a railway station not so far from Corwen.

Last time I saw it was on to of the Horseshoe Pass
Of course, the owner might not want to put the details of his car into public view. There are elements of the register entries for some of my cars that I'm not pleased are there. My experience of trying to get those entries amended is similar to trying to stop a volcano erupting. That experience says I'd be very cautious of submitting the details if I was ever to have another A7.

Steve
which bits could do with NOT being public, Steve? There would be a value in that McCluskey car being up there just for its plate, body and colour - it's been in public view for decades - just so the interesting history could be noted and the fact it still exists. But plainly it has to work for owners, particularly ones with experiences such that you've had.
I agree with Steve
Alan Fairless
I am also very curious to learn why some members are hostile to details of their cars being recorded on the register and why? I have heard similar comments in the past but I cant for the life of me think of anything that would be a problem, no personal details are revealed it is simply a record of the surviving cars.......or an I missing something, in which case I would very much like to hear the reasons explained. My only complaint about the registers is the reliance on owners to supply accurate information which can sometime cause confusion when researching, but that said even if someone is supply false information by mistake or intent, one can usually make some sense of the records and spot the anomalies.
Black Art Enthusiast
I agree with Ian, vehicle information has been available for decades through a wide range of sources and I’ve happily provided information on various rare cars that have passed through my hands and it has provided a valuable resource when identifying fakes.

Why should anyone want to hide information on a particular vehicle? I would be fascinated to learn...
I have no issue with the details of my cars appearing in the register, type, reg. number, chassis number, engine number and similar. However, some years ago I supplied these details for two of my cars so that they could be included. An informal email chat followed during which I mentioned other things that weren't relevant to the register, just the sort of things enthusiasts talk about between themselves. On looking at the two car's entries on the register all this 'chat' had been reproduced in the comments column. I was not happy with that and asked on a number of occasions that it be removed. Never even received a reply. Phone messages left were never answered. Those details are still there and I'd still like them removed but it seems pointless trying given my past experiences and I remain very cautious about the register.

Steve