The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Chummy
Passing Corwen Museum today, I saw a red Chummy standing outside, which is owned by one of the museum curators. He and I had quite a good chat. He tells me that he has owned the car since 1964 and that it appeared on the cover of one of The Batchelors' albums. he also tells me that he does not belong to any of the clubs. Sorry no photo. I was in the 'modern' and didn't have a camera with me.

.png   Screenshot 2022-05-07 at 14.50.28.png (Size: 363 KB / Downloads: 508)
Every time I see that cover I marvel at the lack of tyre tread! Those were the days....
Rick

In deepest Norfolk
Good brakes though.
Apparently Con Cluskey seen in the centre of the album cover died on April 8th 2022 aged 86.
Here it is today...

Attached Files
.png   Austin Chummy PG 7811.png (Size: 1,021.8 KB / Downloads: 477)
Was the camber the camera or the kingpins?
Through much of the 50s my dad ran our car on 2nd hand smooth or near motor bike tyres, as I did in the 60s until tread was made a requirment about 1963. I used to pay 10s for; equivalent a staggering $40 or L20 which now  buys a used tyre not only with tread but more than the legal requirment. The only time I noticed any tendency to skid was on a wet downhill; the traffic stream all unexpectedly stopped at about 45mph. All went suddenly quiet until I realised the rear wheels were locked.  (When hydrauic s.as. were fitted the car could be drifted in the wet with any tyres. On stock cars they reduce the spring and sa rates for slippery track)
The old style stiff tyres were a real battle to fit or remove.
Prior 1963 used to see occasional cars as depicted in old cartoons with circle layers of exposed canvas...
I used to have one Bob,showing 6-7 layers of canvas, I wish I'd have kept a section of it for posterity but unfortunately it got thrown out in the last house move.
Love the Batchelors 7 photo,I kept the sleeve and framed it,dumped the record though.
Bob said:- "Was the camber the camera or the kingpins?"

The present owner told me that, when he first bought the car, the front axle was badly twisted due (he said) to the fierceness of Morris Minor twin leading shoe front brakes. He had to straighten the axle and has converted the front brakes to single cylinder leading/trailing brakes which has cure the problem.
David - it doesnt appear to be on the survivor register and rather than just getting its plate down, do you think we might encourage the chap to let us put it up? I'll happily send something if you have a contact for him.
Especially important because of its social history.