The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3 Bearing bearing
(27-04-2022, 11:15 AM)Bob Culver Wrote: Just curious but are all or any of these white metal? The early 803cc were notorious fro origianl w.m. big end failure, but main loads are less severe.

Not sure about the big ends, but the mains were/are reticular tin. The 803 motor had both a tiny oil pump and a weak crank, if you were lucky you'd run a big end before the crank broke. I built a motor many years ago for someone with a Minor who wanted the motor to look 'right' under the bonnet with its bypass oil filter etc. I fitted it with a 948 crank and rods and a Mini Cooper oil pump. The crank drops straight in as the main bearings are the same on both motors. ISTR having to do some machining on the piston Gudgeon pin bosses to make the 948 rods fit, but other than that it was a bolt in job. So, changed a gutless unreliable motor into a gutless reliable motor.

Interesting re. the use of Metro main bearings -these would have been from the A+ motor upgrade where the oil groove only went round the top shell, the bottom shell was plain. If these were used in an A7 motor I guess they would have been installed 'upside down' as the oil feed comes in from the sump side of the bearing. IIRC, the Turbo ones used a Copper/Lead bearing.