The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3 Bearing bearing
I'm working on a modified Austin/Reliant hybrid 3 bearing engine at the moment. 
I'd like to replace the centre main bearing shells with new. 
I have just removed worn Vandervell 1724 shells which don't look like Austin or Reliant.
Does anyone have access to a Vandervell catalogue? 
I'm interested to know what vehicle they originally came from?
Thanks in advance.
Many years ago, Vince set up a 3 bearing bottom end for me and used shells from a Morris 1000, I think. Not suggesting they are necessarily what you seek, but may give another avenue of research..

Ah, I have found them...

Marked 040 so 40 thou undersize perhaps?
Phone Gosneys in Romford. If they can't tell you from the reference number, you'll struggle to find someone who can.

Steve
Re. the Morris Minor possible contender, How wide is the shell? Early ones were 1.187" wide. Later 1098cc ones were narrower. Can't remember the width but I have a set of them here which I could measure if it is useful.
Austin and Reliant shells are 15/16" wide. BMC A series seem to be 1 1/16" wide. Both are 1 3/4" dia.
(26-04-2022, 07:54 PM)Henry Harris Wrote: Austin and Reliant shells are 15/16" wide. BMC A series seem to be 1 1/16" wide. Both are 1 3/4" dia.

The 998cc and 1098cc mains are 1 1/16" wide; the 803, 850 and 948cc shells are 1.187 (1 3/16") wide as I said earlier, the difference is pretty obvious in this photo after a quick rummage in my workshop.

[Image: 52031199947_a5cbd6beb8_z.jpg]

I would be interested if you manage to find any documentation that matches the number(s) on the shell with the part number of the bearing. None that I have seen have any correlation. eg. the wide main marked VP2744 part number of the set VP244; The narrow main marked VP 4499 has a part number VP733. This is more than idle curiosity, I have a couple of sets of new bearings here where the tab was missing from the box end when they came to me. I have not been able (using t'interweb) to find a part number or fitment for these.
Not thought about these for a great many years, but have a memory of Metro Turbo bearings being considered special, and necessary, but not sure if that's a main or big end, or anything else, but its another guess at what it might be.
I used metro bearings for a long time, they lasted about
2 years before failing.I just dropped the sump and changed them.
Eventually changed to 2 bearing crank.
Andy
(27-04-2022, 07:52 AM)Stumpi Wrote: I used metro bearings for a long time, they lasted about
2 years before failing.I just dropped the sump and changed them.
Eventually changed to 2 bearing crank.
Andy

I have used Metro bearings in the past with the supercharged engine but they require narrowing and re-drilling.
I'm keen to find what the Vandervell 1724 are from as they need no modification.
Just curious but are all or any of these white metal? The early 803cc were notorious fro origianl w.m. big end failure, but main loads are less severe.