The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who built my Ulster Rep Body?
Malcolm, for what it’s worth - my Ulster shell dates from 1975 and was made by a guy called Danny. He made several bodies for Stuart Rolt around that time, and I do wonder if the Winder bodies came from the same place. I don’t recall Danny’s surname but Peter Pearson might.
Alan Fairless
I just realised I was wrong when I said my body was made by Compound Curves (memory isn't what it was!)  in fact it was made by Vintage Wings in Manchester.

Sorry if I confused things.

John.
Alan, thanks for the info on the bodies made for Stuart Rolt, my body probably dates from around that time.

John, you have added another name to the ever growing list of Ulster rep body builders.   Of all the Ulster reps I have seen over the years, yours bears most similarity to mine.   I have a hunch however that mine was probably linked to the Winders and made closer to home in that shadowy area twixt Leeds and Bradford!  If you are taking your car to Moreton in July I will look out for it to compare rivets etc!
Malcolm , Geoff Winder's grey trials Ulster VK3145 also had a substantial tubular structure supporting the tail and spare wheel.
I think this was a Roach body - I should have taken more notice during my weekly drinks meeting at the Menston Arms
with Geoff., and David Laxton - 40 years is a long time !
Geoff.,
(29-03-2022, 10:28 PM)Alan Wrote: Malcolm, for what it’s worth - my Ulster shell dates from 1975 and was made by a guy called Danny. He made several bodies for Stuart Rolt around that time, and I do wonder if the Winder bodies came from the same place. I don’t recall Danny’s surname but Peter Pearson might.

Danny Drake.

Regards, Stuart
That’s right
Alan Fairless
Thanks for that.
Our replica body is mid '70s from Stuart Rolt. No idea who made it though! From what I recall dad saying it had work done to the tail to make it the right shape.
Out of interest I contacted Vintage Wings to ask them if they had any idea as to which car my replica bodywork had been based upon and also if they knew how many bodyshells they produced.

This morning I got an e-mail back from Nigel Taylor and although he wasn't able to provide much information I thought I'd post the message here in case it helps anyone:

Hi John
Apologies for the delay, I was waiting for Ian to come back from holiday to see if he knew anything about it.
Unfortunately we don’t have any records as I bought the machinery and company name. Ian seems to remember there was another one they built which went to Northern Ireland. 
If they had a body to copy they would have done that as it was their preferred method. They may have made it to a drawing but they didn’t like doing that.
Regards
Nigel

John.