The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who built my Ulster Rep Body?
I am interested to know who may have built the body on my Ulster Rep.   It is a very old body, at least 55 to 60 years to my knowledge.  We can rule out the three leading makers, ie Roach, Rod Yates and Compound Curvatures.
The Ulster 'kit' came from the Ilkley area which had a 'mafia' of sporting Austin 7 enthusiasts in the 1960's and 70's, the Winder Brothers, David Laxton and John Kelly amongst them.    I believe that Geoff Winder may have had some Ulster bodies made by a firm in Bradford.
I also understand that Stuart Rolt had some Ulster bodies made by a man in Shepshed, Leicestershire at around the same time.  I think that Rochdale Panels also made a few Ulster bodies before closing down around 1972.
What do I know about the body on my car?  It has a steel floorpan and alloy skin and is quite accurately detailed in many respects, but it has a distinctive deep humped tail.   When I got the body it had never been properly fitted on a chassis and was in bare aluminium with the steel parts finished in red oxide.    Inside the tail and on the underside of the spare wheel cover was written in marker pen 'Austin No.2'.  The holes for the pedals were a mile out and the flitch plates had been altered during manufacture, suggesting that it was an early example with some teething troubles.
Also inside the tail was a stuck on paper label which said '****mount Panels' and part of a phone number.  Unfortunately the label had been partly painted over with red oxide.

Can anyone cast some light on these early Ulster replica bodies?

The name Paramount Panels immediately comes to mind; I have no idea where they were located, but they were certainly making replacement panels for more modern vehicles in the 1970s.
I had the same thought, Mike.  I think Paramount Panels are still around making aircraft parts.  If it is the same firm, I hope their quality control has improved!

I've just Googled Mount Panels and a firm pops up based in Bradford that has been making parts for the motor trade since 1979.   Could this be the firm that Geoff Winder used to build a few bodies?
Malcolm , that name rings a bell . I think one body may have been fitted to the Hugh Conway Ulster and possibly David 
Laxton might built another. Also the Grasshopper replica body . I recall a new Alvis Ducks Back body gathering dust over the years ! 
Geoff.,
That's interesting, Geoff.  My body may be the one that David Laxton commissioned.  My Ulster kit came from the Estate of the late Peter Simonard who knew David Laxton well.   It was obviously intended to be a trials car as the floor and lower body sides had been strengthened and some heavy tubular steel supports made to mount the rear of the body onto the chassis outriggers.  I dispensed with the heavy supports as they were far stronger than the outriggers, replacing them with the correct Ulster pattern supports.
I will try and find a photo of the Hugh Conway Ulster to see if it bears any resemblance to mine.
Just wondered how you were sure it wasn't made by Compound Curves?

I bought my body from them, possibly 40 years ago, and it has the deep humped tail you mention.

John.
The Roach family started out making seven bodies .... no idea when but that's basically why they still offer them...

good luck with your search
(29-03-2022, 03:43 PM)John P Wrote: Just wondered how you were sure it wasn't made by Compound Curves?

I bought my body from them, possibly 40 years ago, and it has the deep humped tail you mention.

John.

I know that my body was owned by Peter Simonard about 30 years ago and at that time it was around 25 years old.   Compound Curvature bodies have an aluminium plate in the point of the tail with the production number on. 
I would be interested in seeing a picture of your car to see how the tail compares.
I am familiar with the Roach bodies and would rule them out.

Thanks for the photo, John.  Your body does have a tail very similar to mine.  The centre of the seat backrest is about 3" higher than the centre of the scuttle which is a bit odd but the deep backrest is extremely comfortable on the longest of journeys.   I nearly painted mine dark red and looking at yours I think it looks better than the rather military green that mine is.   I tell people that it was a prototype built for assessment by the Special Forces!