The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined array key "fragment" - Line: 1494 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/inc/class_parser.php 1494 errorHandler->error_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 1640 postParser->mycode_parse_video
[PHP] postParser->mycode_parse_video_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 513 preg_replace_callback
/inc/class_parser.php 228 postParser->parse_mycode
/inc/functions_post.php 827 postParser->parse_message
/showthread.php 1118 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined array key "query" - Line: 1505 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 1505 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined array key 1 - Line: 1510 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 1510 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined array key 0 - Line: 1587 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 1587 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined array key "v" - Line: 1591 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 1591 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A new car for a keen daughter...

.jpg   Radio car.jpg (Size: 116.67 KB / Downloads: 289) Try this all flat panels apart from wings and bonnet.
This is all very helpful - particularly the illustrated answers, it gives her some great ideas - thank you all.

Daisy is concerned that her gender had prompted your response Bob, her words this morning before school were, "what does that matter"?

She has varied interests and here is some footage of her playing her beloved Clarsaich in camouflage, her favourite outfit of choice (wait until she sees the Signals Car Dave!!)...

At first I thought this was a good example of what could NOT be made at home, but I'm not too sure. Very few panels have a compound curve.

Also the wings cum running boards are interesting. Simple curves but then made to look interesting by having rounded ends and a gradual taper of the width.

And the lack of an obvious air intake would add curiosity.

The cutlery is just to keep the page flat, with bright sunlight outside. Why do we get nice weather when I can't go out? Covid!
That video is an absolute delight! Lucky child, lucky parents !
As others have already suggested, you need to find a design that is both easy to build and something that she will enjoy owning. If a sporting style fits the bill, something like Chris Hudson's special looks to be pretty simple:

If a less sporting style is wanted, then a simple chummy-style bathtub is probably the way to go.
I seriously envy the naturally musical.
I had a keyboard for a birthday present few years back to try to learn and worked my way through a couple of books but it was always very mechanical rather than natural. Then a musical friend came over and started tinkling on it along to some music on the radio, working out the key and joining in. At that point I realised it just wasn't in me.
And a generation to whom gender really doesn't matter in hopes and aspirations. I fear it may be a generation or 2 away yet, as women are still sadly under represented in engineering (a loss to engineering), but you can hope and encourage.

I guess one question to consider, does she have aspirations to drive it on the road or to compete hill climbs etc, as with her age I guess a car able to be used in competitions of some form will be available for her to use now, rather than have to look at and be driven in to a friendly field for a go until old enough to get a road licence? And think of the driving skills she would learn ready for the roads.

Andy
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
(18-03-2022, 05:35 AM)Bob Culver Wrote: Ideally a project not likely to be quickly finished. I get somewhat nervous about very precious young persons in particular motoring extensively in modern traffic in Sevens.
I find it incredible nowadays the lack of any practical skills in so many persons; middle aged to young, both sexes. I have just wasted hours talking a relative through replacement of a tap top, and of the valve disc in a mains pressure reducing valve. 
Far fewer learn skills  from employment. In an age when employment is seldom secure practical skills hugely extend scope. And any time between jobs can often be very usefully used around home. 
Now many girls persue engineering. The lack of practical nous among then all male students used to amaze me. Any  femal  with skills would be a real standout.

(18-03-2022, 09:01 AM)Andy Bennett Wrote: On the subject of 'how' rather than 'what'.
Just a thought. I had to interview lots of young people over the years in various roles under the umbrella of a high tech engineering firm. Exams are critical but they only tell half the story and it has become increasingly difficult to differentiate between 10 CVs (often starting with many more applicants sifted by HR) all with high exam grades, when you only have the time to interview 5. For me it then all came down to what else they had done.

Anyone who had volunteered, been involved in projects etc instantly moved to the next stage of consideration and likely interview.

So, irrespective of whether she sees a career in engineering (suggest do some research on STEM) or anything else, do carefully document and photograph what she achieves (am sure you are going to do that anyway), showing that it was her and not just her watching you. If you can turn it into a mini apprenticeship (without it all losing the fun for an 11 year old) with her achieving skills (her sheet metal bending badge etc) then that can only help her whatever route she takes in life. And if she is so inclined encourage her to record it diary/blog/vlog/ASFriends style. That might help maintain motivation over a project which will likely be relatively long for an 11 year old's attention span.

She is a lucky girl
Andy
I can confirm what Andy says: a young friend recently finished his Masters in engineering at Coventry University. During his four years (unlike other students) he worked part-time in local industry and learned how to scrape surfaces, operate a lathe, surface, and cylindrical grinders, planers, borers, etc., and on Saturdays helped out at a company rebuilding precision spindles. In his home workshop, he restored a number of machine tools including a Wade 8A, and EXE surface grinder (http://www.lathes.co.uk/exe-grinder/) and a Rivett watchmaker's lathe (http://www.lathes.co.uk/rivett-watchmakers/page4.html)
His first job application was at the Mercedes Formula 1 Company but, despite it already having been filled, so impressed was the company by his background, enthusiasm, skill set (and evidence of hands-on achievements) that invitation was extended to him for an interview - the result being a position created especially for him.
(18-03-2022, 01:37 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: wait until she sees the Signals Car Dave!!...

I may know of a front end & doors that could be suitable.........
Another option may be to simply go with the flow.

Go through the running gear and see what pops up.

All sorts of coachworks pops up for sale if you two would prefer to restore rather than build.

Tony has what is basically a new body on ebay at the moment.

There also seems to be a sure and steady flow of used box saloon bodies available. A guy I know is just putting a discarded body, picked up cheaply on a chassis, that he bought off Stuart that he has built into a rolling chassis from spares. I believe he has obtained the V5 belonging to the chassis and therefore has put another box saloon back into the gene pool. I did similar when I was a little older than your daughter.

There was a chopped up RL body also on Facebook recently offered FOC. It looked like it would have yeilded a usable front end - scuttle, flitch panels, wings, bonnet for some sort of custom body, could be made into whatever is wanted.

My favourite special body in on a car I see every year at a steam rally I attend - Onslow Park in Shrewsbury. A 2 seat car that the owner built for his daughter - who is herself probably 10years my senior. I will see if I can find a picture of it.
(18-03-2022, 04:58 PM)JohnD Wrote:
(18-03-2022, 01:37 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: wait until she sees the Signals Car Dave!!...

I may know of a front end & doors that could be suitable.........

Sounds good....