The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A new car for a keen daughter...
Our middle daughter, Daisy, is 11 and has always been the one most interested in things mechanical - she has built herself a worshop in the back garden and Tod has furnished her with many tools - all inscribed DD.

I think the time is right to start building a car with her - I have a complete 1932 rolling chassis with V5C. The mechanicals I can guide her on, but I want her and I to build the bodywork - this is new for me. What would you do or what have you done that might inspire her?
Do you remember the Frankenstein Chummy I built Ruairidh?

I know it wasn’t everyone’s taste as it was on a lwb chassis, but it was very simple construction, a steel box section frame, clad in Aluminium, riveted to the frame with countersunk rivets and because I used the factory dimensions, standard bits like the scuttle tank, door hinges, locks etc. all fitted easily.

I could have bought a windscreen, but ended up making one myself using round steel bar cut down the middle and steel channel section, all basic stuff!

I certainly do Ivor - I liked that car a lot but I think Daisy and I would need way bigger bodywork skills than we have. I am thinking, "very home made" for this this one...
Sounds like something along the lines of Simplicity, would be just the ticket...or put the word out for ready made special body like an Ashley or you might be lucky to find a Speedex.

If I was Daisy I’d be very excited!
Exciting! can you stretch to a wood kit from Priors? You could get something woodie-like from the existing drawings they have and then all you have to do is make a subframe and add simple aluminium to the insides of the sides and simple boarding for the floor. But you would sensibly need a scrap scuttle perhaps....
Wonderful! As you know, Ruairidh, My grandson Henry (just about Daisy's age) has been building up a 1937 Ruby for the last year. Within reason, we've let him set his own pace and standards on the job, with light touch guidance; it seems to have been a success so far, as he feels that it's entirely his project and he's in full control of it. They'll have to compare notes at the Centenary!

Building a body doesn't need to be a daunting exercise. Everything is down to the design - it's quite possible to work out a simple but attractive body without the need for any complicated construction or shaping. I'd favour wood and aluminium - please let me know if we can help with this in any way.

See "Henry's Ruby" on Facebook or YouTube.
Bring her to me for a "sheetmetal weekend workshop" Ruairidh. Card patterns and dimensions of what is needed and between the three of us we could achieve almost anything!
I had granddaughter Matilda (age 7) in the workshop a couple of weeks ago making some jewellery and she wants to come back...
Ideally a project not likely to be quickly finished. I get somewhat nervous about very precious young persons in particular motoring extensively in modern traffic in Sevens.
I find it incredible nowadays the lack of any practical skills in so many persons; middle aged to young, both sexes. I have just wasted hours talking a relative through replacement of a tap top, and of the valve disc in a mains pressure reducing valve. 
Far fewer learn skills  from employment. In an age when employment is seldom secure practical skills hugely extend scope. And any time between jobs can often be very usefully used around home. 
Now many girls persue engineering. The lack of practical nous among then all male students used to amaze me. Any  femal  with skills would be a real standout.
Hi Ruairidh 

You may want to view my thread on the Brookfields special.  I started with a light angle sub frame and then covered it with plywood.  I made things a bit complex with the double curvature laminated back panel but I’m sure a design using flat panels would work.  

Cheers

Howard
On the subject of 'how' rather than 'what'.
Just a thought. I had to interview lots of young people over the years in various roles under the umbrella of a high tech engineering firm. Exams are critical but they only tell half the story and it has become increasingly difficult to differentiate between 10 CVs (often starting with many more applicants sifted by HR) all with high exam grades, when you only have the time to interview 5. For me it then all came down to what else they had done.

Anyone who had volunteered, been involved in projects etc instantly moved to the next stage of consideration and likely interview.

So, irrespective of whether she sees a career in engineering (suggest do some research on STEM) or anything else, do carefully document and photograph what she achieves (am sure you are going to do that anyway), showing that it was her and not just her watching you. If you can turn it into a mini apprenticeship (without it all losing the fun for an 11 year old) with her achieving skills (her sheet metal bending badge etc) then that can only help her whatever route she takes in life. And if she is so inclined encourage her to record it diary/blog/vlog/ASFriends style. That might help maintain motivation over a project which will likely be relatively long for an 11 year old's attention span.

She is a lucky girl
Andy
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!