The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HYDRAULIC BRAKES
(22-03-2022, 01:36 PM)Paul N-M Wrote: I emphasize the decent linings bit! Most 7" Minor linings sold these days are rubbish.

With you all the way Paul. 
It took me a while to realise how rubbish the cheap generic linings from MM suppliers were, and then I looked hard for decent linings 

Charles
I'm currently using Mintex Halo 1 Classic Competition material which is proving good for sprinting and hill climbing and works well from low temperatures so would also seem to be OK for the road.
I have tried Green Gripper and would never use it again in a hydraulic set up.
If you do a search on the hydraulic braking topic on this forum you will find some interesting reading. Its a well discussed issue.

The Mintex product is only available via Questmead who say they only deal with the trade so you will need to find someone to sort for you if they won't deal direct. They will need a set of shoes. They bond, rivet and arch to the finished size. Not cheap but what price a car that stops!

Paul N-M
V&CWLtd.
This is the hold down fitting used on the Girliing  ford Anglia1200 a big improvement on the beehive springs. Terry.    
Hi Terry, Yes I use a similar set up.
Terry and Paul, re the Anglia set up.
Terry's photo shows the spring/washers on the outside of the shoes so pushing shoe to slide on the back plate.  
When looking into this I got as far as deciding the 1200 pins were the ones to use because they were 39.5mm long and with the spring being 16.5mm high once the spring was compressed by about 5mm with washers in place the distance between outer washer top and face of shoe web would be 14.5mm.  Did I get these rough workings right?
Pin is 4mm dia.  What size hole did you drill in back plate bearing in mind need to fit the pips on the end through, or did you drill hole and make it slotted?.  Did you countersink the hole so pin end was flush?
I obviously assume there is enough clearance between end of pin and hub.

Attached is the sketch I was working from

Dennis
I just looked back to the discussion of similar nature from when I was fitting back brakes......2018!!!!!!! doesn't time fly.
Sorry to Terry that I had forgotten his valuable information re the holding down pins/springs (though I did make hand scribbled notes that are in my file!......getting  old and memory loss gets worse.  Would still like answers if possible to questions posed above.
  At this rate finishing the rebuild for the centenary meet is looking a bit dodgy.
I think I will use the split pin method for now in the interest of expediency and refine later if proves not so good.

Dennis
Dennis a 6mm hole will clear the pips with a light countersink to radius the edge of the hole. Terry
it would be of interst if the reason for dismissing brake linings could be given please. too fierce, too fast shoe or drum wear, too much fade, too little friction etc. There was an horrendous UK range of fancily packaged auto products some years ago. Motorcraft or some such name. I acquired a timing chain with rollers vissibly not round and visible butt joints. A set of disc pads wore the discs in my Minx to the limit in 10,000 very mild miles.
Ho Bob,
For my part i have commented previously re certain brake material, suggest you search past threads on the subject. Purely my personal experience but others have also expressed views. I did an article 'brake brake brake' some time ago plus later contributions to others posts.
Thanks NM

I am probably using wrong, but Search did not lead directly. 26.8 20 was original. Had forgotten much of it.