The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HYDRAULIC BRAKES
Just completing refurbish/refit of my hydraulic brakes and have made up a document with info that may be of help to others but when I try to add as an attachment I get a red box flash up which DISAPPEARS too quickly to read but I think it starts saying too big a file....what on earth can I do to get the info on here (took most of yesterday getting it made into a document, with photos, that would save on my MAC.)  I have document in MAC word processor  ( .pages), as a .pdf, and as .rtfd.....also couple of microsoft word which microsoft will not let me save/edit etc without paying for their full programme.

OK so here is some by just magical copy and paste and resizing.....but what a faf!!!!
Austin Seven with hydraulic brakes using Morris Minor modified backplates
I have Morris Minor backplates with offset in middle modified to fit Austin 7 axles (to all intense and purposes this equates to Morris Minor equipment). The Austin drums are also 7 inch diameter and take the 1.25 or 1.22 inch wide MM shoes acting on cast iron drums. I have always had the problem of running out of adjustment to take up wear while still having plenty of lining left on the shoes. I have seen on the MM forum that several MM owners have had the same problem.
On each side of the MM there is one adjuster snail at the back and 2 adjusters at the front. I understand that the rear adjuster is larger because it has to take up wear on 2 shoes whereas the front 2 smaller adjusters each only have to take up wear on 1 shoe each.
I found my rears had 17 notches and fronts had 15.

The adjuster for the later 8 inch brakes is larger again.
Part of solving the problem was to use the larger rear snails on the front.
I have also found that the 8 inch adjusters have the same width mask (the bit the snail sits in) so fits on the cylinder and can be used to take up even more wear where drums have been skimmed. The slot on the end of the brake shoe has to be opened out slightly back to front, but no need on depth, because the 7 inch adjusters have a spindle diameter of 6.2mm while the 8 inch is 8.78m.

Table of measurement between base of mask and snail spindle on turning notch to notch for each snail adjuster.

Sorry just can't find a way to copy the table to here.....I surrender...help. Can probably email full document to someone who is more able than me at manipulating Apple OS documents who may be able to put full info and photos up.

Dennis

Could someone please explain what is going on.
I tried again to attach the Apple word processor document (.pages)..great joy as the loading progress bar and percentage download gradually increased to full bar and 100% but then a small red box appeared for a very short time - too short to read so I don't know what it said....and the attachment space just went empty.

Dennis
Hi Dennis

Try exporting the pages file as a .pdf file.

Cheers

Howard
Tried again with 9Mb pdf and same....red box appears but disappears too quickly to read after 100% upload shown.  Is it warning that file too large?
Test with 1.76MB brake shoes available .jpg    well that works.

Useful information regarding the various brake adjuster options, thanks for that. I have just ordered a pair of the 8" brake style items for the rears on one of my cars. Will be a much neater solution than the Ali shim that's wrapped around the base of the adjuster at present.

I think that the simplest way to get any charts etc. up on webpages is to scan them as .jpg files page by page.
Hi Dennis, how well do your brakes work? I have the same set-
up. However, I'm not that impressed with hydraulic although it could be air trapped within the system still.
Hi rpm.
How well do they work?.....well after some 70,000 miles I have not crashed it or had any scary moments due to braking  Cool
I have always used the silicone fluid (with new seals all round to start with as a must)....the same fluid has been in for most of those miles.  The 948 BMC A engine means I keep up with modern traffic so ok braking not just due to driving around slowly.
This rebuild I have removed the MM master cylinder and all A7 pedals and replaced with a mini pedal box and master cylinders for brakes and clutch with rods that push upwards......thus removing all holes in floor apart from steering column which comes through short tube welded into new floor section....it will have a rubber sealing ring at bottom round bottom between column and floor (old cut off part of round rubber rear light fits exactly).......so no more cold tootsies...aided by 2 speed heater fitted in space above gearbox.

1.25 (or 1.22) inch shoes in cast drums.  Rear beehive shoe springs hook onto brackets already part of MM backplates hold shoes against backplate in spite of pull off springs having to go on outside so wanting to pull shoes away from backplate.
Front beehives held by 1/8" split pins which go through hole in back plate......don't really like that,  so may eventually weld on bits for springs to hook onto like rears.  Have looked into Ford 105E Anglia 1200 method of holding shoes to backplate as a better solution and may change from the split pins later if they prove troublesome.

Dennis

Back to posting attachment problem.....if only the little red warning box would stay up so I could read it it might give a clue as to what is going wrong.
Have done a scan of page,  saved to memory stick, put in computer and dragged document to attachment box but no go.
Also click in attach box then follow - select file, upload...still no go.

Can forum IT magician man do anything about the quickly disappearing red warning box or give further advice?

Dennis
Hi Dennis,
Interesting info.
You say you have fitted 1.5" wide shoes from the Morris Minor. Am I understanding you correctly? I was under the impression that the Minor 7" front brakes only came with 1.22" wide shoes. The later 8" drums went up to 1.5" wide shoes.
Classic Mini front 7" drums had 1.5" wide TLS shoes (changed from the SLS design) but these have different hole stampings on the shoe bridge due to having a different adjusting system, have no location holes for the Minor snail cam adjusters or bee hive locators holes.
Is it these you have modified to fit?

I have found the best way to optimise hydrauliucs in a Seven is to use decent linings properly adjusted with cast iron drums.
I emphasize the decent linings bit! Most 7" Minor linings sold these days are rubbish.
Try a cunning plan of erasing all up to table and photos in original file and saving remainder table and photos as new document......fail.....next remove last 2 photos. as well....fail....still quickly disappearing red box; next export to pdf ok part success.  Now try add 2 photos.....cant get photos out of document.
Will post so far....have to click on link to show table.

.pdf   Table hydraulic brakes.pdf (Size: 45.05 KB / Downloads: 29)

Left to right - 8 inch new;  rear large; front small.

last attempt to add photos.

.pdf   photos hydraulic brakes copy.pdf (Size: 71.69 KB / Downloads: 26)

Paul N-M.  Yes sorry 1.5 should have been 1.25 or 1.22....both seem to be available.

What make good linings and where from?
it sounds to me that the file you are tying to attach is too big, there is a limit so Ive found out.