The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"I have tried to keep as many original features as possible"
As above, this thing is registered as a 1933 Austin 10, 1125cc. If you wonder why the DVLA tightened up and made life more difficult for genuine people looking to register genuine cars then look no further. Cars such as this do us no good at all never mind the outcry if some under engineered component was to fail at speed and it mowed down the proverbial bus queue.

Steve
Martin
I sympathise ref reclaiming an original registration.......long time ago I failed with a Nippy spare body I have in spite of having the little Vin plate and enough of the old stick on number plate to work out what the original number was.  This was going to be built up with A7 parts to be a running car.  If anyone wants to have a go I still have the body with windscreen frame.

I am just going through my paperwork to update various cars (Barn find condition) that I have to get their registration documents up to date and entry errors rectified.  Very stressful for an oldun....especially for those with a V5 (not a V5C) which I have found I never did update my address when I moved and the threat of fines for not updating keepers address.  The amount of gov.uk notes on "how to", "what can be done" etc is staggering and often rather vague and sometimes seems to be contradictory.....with many "links" taking you off in all sorts of directions leaving you still none the wiser.

1st try to change taxation class of current Nippy to historic....gov notes say can only take registration document to post office and they will send it off and you will receive new reg document showing Historic under tax class........my Post Office said could not do (I had the V5...not V5C).  Eventually got through to a human on the on line chat to DVLA facility and he said no need to update to Historic as it was already automatically recorded as being so; he said he would send me a new up to date registration document.......I await with bated breath.....so still hope to get to Moreton in a legal car.

If only the powers that be would let us get on with playing with our toys......just as long as they were safe on the road.

Who cares if someone is prepared to splash out lots of money on a rare vehicle made up from bits of one car split up to make 2 rare cars...apart from the shame that a genuine car has been split up.

PS.  My sense of humour....at Moreton.....visualising lots of people walking around wheeling front/rear axles and announcing proudly "here is my 193? supercharged works racer!!

Dennis
Dennis said: PS. My sense of humour....at Moreton.....visualising lots of people walking around wheeling front/rear axles and announcing proudly "here is my 193? supercharged works racer!!

My pet hate description for a cobbled-up bitsa is "works prototype"! Maybe that's what the rat car really is.
Certainly not up my alley, in fact I think it's ghastly but someone out there will buy it and no doubt love it.

The complaints about the number I can understand but wouldn't you want to keep it if you could get away with it? DVLA has become a reality of the "Computer says no" trope and I think you can blame Little Britain (in every sense of the words) for that:-)
Up to a point I agree with you, Duncan, but how do you keep the number for an Austin Ten when the only significant Ten component is the front axle?
...but why bother try "keeping as many original features as possible" in a rot rod... and advertise as if it mattered to a prospective buyer. ?

Maybe one needs to be immersed in a counter culture of some kind to appreciate the finer details???

Beggared if I know what it's all about.
"how do you keep the number for an Austin Ten when the only significant Ten component is the front axle?"

By being economical with the actualitée! 
I agree this is an egregious misuse or abuse of a system which relies on 99.9% of applicants being honest but if one complains too much about these relatively (?) rare cases they will have to start sending out inspectors to vet vehicle applications and builds and that will come with a hefty bill. 
It would also make it almost impossible to do well intentioned rescue jobs of getting another "genuine but with iffy provenance" back on the road for our pleasure.

.jpg   949 XUW.jpg (Size: 205.72 KB / Downloads: 123) Here's another modified RN which the owner has made presentable!
Tongue 
Complete with colour co ordinated teardrop caravan.  Confused
There is an A7 Ashley Special that is wearing the wrong number on it.
Logbook cost £2.50 in 1976 it had no chassis number recorded only the body number so a simple to fill in all the details of the current chassis change of body and engine. Police came out and checked it !!! New Log Book issued.
Thats a 1937 registration on a 1934 chassis which came out of a hedge.
The Ashley was built from two different Ashley Specials.
As far as Im aware it has only spent two years on the road in the early 1980s and was being built again a couple of years ago.

Whats far worse are the VW beetle kit cars registered as 1925 Bugattis !!