The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fan pulley
Graham

I suspect the bloody great flanges on the Austin pulleys somehow manage to keep the belt on. 

Father had a 3 bearing engine in the RP for a whill. That had a crowned cam pulley in cast iron, no flanges. But the fan pulley retained its flanges. It worked fine
Of course the pulley should be crowned.
The one in the photo is completely worn out.
Like Hugh I do wonder why on earth you'd want to fit ball bearings.
Austin would not approve of the extra expense.
There's not really much point in over-complicating the fan pulley design by adding ball or needle rollers, the original design works fine, but if it floats your boat why not. What is important though is that the fan belt is not over-tensioned - that just puts strain on the pulley, its shaft and the bearing. The only thing driven by the belt is the fan, so it doesn't have to be bowstring tight. In fact quite loose (or even not there at all) seems to work fine in most circumstances.
I have read explanations of how the crowning works but whilst I am happy to explain roll centres, effect on handling etc, secondary unbalance and so on,  I am  not confident to attempt!
My father's lathe had a soft flat canvas belt and fast and loose pulleys and the way the belt sorted itself on each pulley intrigued me from a very small boy.
(for those less than 70 years old, machinery was commonly driven from constant rotating shafting. Larger  machines had clutches but for smaller the driven pulley had a loose or free pulley alongside . The belt was pushed by a slider (or hand!) sideways and  quickly centred itself on the other pulley
(editted to correct. Driven not driving pulleys are fixed and loose so the belt is always running. As not convenient to have the paired pulleys on the actual machine, usaully an intermediate countershaft involved.)
Just for you, Bob:

https://woodgears.ca/bandsaw/crowned_pulleys.html
Hi Bob,
Yes, I also worked my father's lathe driven by flat belts on crowned pulleys with no flanges. As a young engineer I spent a lot of time working with conveyor belts on crowned unflanged pulleys.
RR,
Thanks for the explanation of how crowning works. I now finally understand what is happening.
Regards
Graham Barker
Hi Steve

While on the subject of fan pulleys remember to fit the felt washer behind the pulley.  I couldn’t see the reason for this felt until I heard the dreadful chatter and then grease thrown around the engine.

The felts sold by the Cherished suppliers are Austin spec but I found them too thick so cut them in half with a Stanley knife.

Cheers

Howard
In case there is some doubt about the drawing, below is a zoom on the crown on the pulley. The crown is 1/64" higher in the center than the sides.

.jpg   Crown.JPG (Size: 18.36 KB / Downloads: 206)

Hope this helps

Marcus
Hi I am Restoring my Austin 7 Ruby Mk2 1936 and require a new fan belt.  I am aware SW0045 is marked on some of them Smile  but where do I purchase them from.  Thank you Dom
At the top of the page click on "Website Home" and then on that page click on "Cherished Suppliers" and take your pick...