The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fan pulley
I've been through the back log of posts concerning the issues with fan pulley sizes, as I am having trouble getting the fan belt to fit, being too small. I have come the conclusion that as my car was exported to Australia originally it must have had the export sized fan pulley.

The diameter of my pulley is two inches as measured between the flanges.

What diameter is the standard pulley ?

I have a large lump of aluminum rod I can make a new one from but it would be nice to know the diameter I need to turn the rod to.

Thanks for your patience with all the questions.
Stephen
Export fan pulleys were thicker, not larger in diameter.

If you post photos of what you have just now we may be able to identify what sounds like a miss match of parts, to me.
Hi Steve

I’m not sure but I think the magneto fan belt is smaller than the coil one.  Perhaps you’ve got that one?

Cheers

Howard
Magneto fan belts are longer than coil ones.
Hi Ruairidh 

Thanks for clarifying 

Cheers

Howard
I've now been driving my Ruby for over a year with the fan belt removed. No problems.
Here are two pics showing the pulley I have on my engine. Since the car chassis was exported to Australia, would I be correct to assume that it is an export type pulley?
Thanks

.jpg   pulley 2.jpg (Size: 123.84 KB / Downloads: 481)
Whatever, it seems to have lost its essential crown. With that restored will belt still be too short? Presumably the early original belts were leather.
That is a top pulley from a magneto engine.

If you fit that in conjunction with a coil bottom pulley the belt won’t fit. You will need to source a coil top pulley.

You will also need to ensure you have a coil fan.
Couldn't find a good original one for reference but an old stock repro was 1 3/8" dia on the crown.