The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VSCC Alternators
(02-02-2022, 11:28 PM)Chris.Dallas Wrote: If you are competing in a night rally having an alternator would most likely give you an unfair advantage as well as not being period.

Chris
So does that "unfair" opinion extend to anyone with a modern solid state regulator, or a Lucas C 40 dynamo running off a belt from the prop, or 12 volts, or a VW Beetle dynamo built into Austin 7 end plates? Or maybe, on a bigger car than an A7 with an extra pair of Cibie Oscar driving lights. All "unfair advantages" that have been accepted for decades. 
To be honest I'd rather more people entered night rallies with safer, better lit cars and with ones that don't risk other road users muttering "that old car shouldn't be out at this time of night".

As Alan pointed out, it's not compulsory and neither will any be visible, so cars won't suffer the carbuncle sight of a Kubota alternator clamped on the head (as I'm sure we've all seen). 

C
The silly thing is I’ve had a brand new Kubota alternator on the shelf for the past ten years, but never had any reason to use it!

Although I don’t do night rallies, I drive at night and I’m sure the LEDs help from a safer point of view, the only thing is they look wrong, they don’t have that warm glow of old technology.
(03-02-2022, 07:37 AM)Steve kay Wrote: Alan, a hands of current VSCC members, and then a count of former VSCC members?

It matters not. If you aren’t a member it doesn’t concern you, and you haven’t had time to stop being a member because of this.
Alan Fairless
As someone who runs both, I can report that the alternator in my Pearl works very well but I have not yet felt the need to change any of the other cars over to such and I am of the opinion that a properly restored dynamo works equally well.

As I have never been a VSCC member, and don't really care what others think of my own cars, I enjoy unfettered freedom to do exactly as I wish - as should you all, really.
I'm still a member of the VSCC but also know several who are no longer members.

Not sure where this decision came from or who it might help, but quite surprised by it. I can't see where it will make any difference apart from the Measham, nothing else requires lights while competing.

Using LEDs you can get hours of lighting even when using a total loss system with a decent battery.
(02-02-2022, 11:30 PM)Alan Wrote: Can we have a quick hands up here? How many of the critics are actually VSCC members?

I am a former member who gave up membership because I didn't like the way the VSCC ran things; changes like this only confirm my decision.
Like Ivor, I still run my Venom on a Lucas mag ( though I'd prefer a BTH ) with 6 volts, adequate but I don't go out much at night.
As an aside, I have a pal who did the full electronic ignition and 12v conversion on his Thruxton Venom and he cannot make it run at all... every member of the local Velo OC has tried and while it spits it does not run, regardless . I am sure there is a problem with the electronic ignition, Boyer-Branson I believe, and I would send it back.
Alan, I certainly don’t want to fall out with any Seven  owner, whilst we may occasionally have a vigorous debate we buy and sell and swap bits and pieces and are a great reservoir of knowledge and experience. 

The VSCC is a different matter. I was a member for a mere quarter of a century, and have left after feeling deeply insulted by the present regime. The remarks made at the AGM about certain pre-war cars was blatant snobbery. The dubious voting on post war eligibility now welcomes machines that have no engineering or design relevance to post vintage, let alone vintage. 

The action of banning a number of us from the last Measham for using LED bulbs in otherwise original cars seems wholly random and lacking any strategic thought now that alternators, and electric water pumps, are considered eligible. 

The relationship between Sevens and the VSCC has always been turbulent, as an example, what ended up after the public falling out primarily about 15” wheels in 2003? 

The Seven can be a car to be welcomed at shows or driven to garden centres. It is also a machine the completion life of which began before it went into production, and which in speed, trialling or other disciplines continues vigorously to this day. I know a number of people who have said good by to the VSCC, but I will continue to organise with them or compete against them as members of other clubs, quick ad break to promote the PWA7C! 

I do not want to be disapproved of by any sporting Sevenists as we will need everybody’s co-operation on Sunday 3rd July. Drivers in VSCC classes, and Bert Hadley competitors enjoying their second day of ascending Shelsley, will be gathered for a great big group photo to celebrate the hundred years of hill climbing Sevens. Any forumists with cat herding experience?
Steve- I take your point about 15inch wheels. That and the associated tyre war ended my speed events with the VSCC, and I wasn’t the only one. The LED fiasco was the MSA or whatever they call themselves. However, the issue at hand as I’ve said is not compulsory. It’s perfectly ok not to fit an alternator, and the PWA7C allow them as far as I am aware, so I don’t see the need to fuss.
Alan Fairless
Personally Charles I’m not a fan of what you describe, though having a 6 v rewound so becomes a 12v isn’t too bad. At least if using a Dynamo and driven from the correct location its more in keeping. I suppose I just don’t see the need to change as we have perfectly working original units fitted. I’m also curious as to why electric water pumps are required….. usually they are also quite unsightly and obviously modern.

Maybe I’m just in the minority but I like the cars to be as in period. If it wasn’t available then, shouldn’t really be fitted for VSCC purposes.