The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VSCC Alternators
What a coincidence? After maybe 15 years of pain,  huge expense and many dead ends,  today I successfully tested my spare dynamo. I now have 4 good mag engine dynamos for 3 mag engine cars - so I have a good spare on the shelf for the first time ever!
Imagine then my feelings when I read in todays VSCC Newsletter that they are now permitting the use of alternators on Vintage cars?
Your comments and expected consequences please?
At least you'll have the satisfaction of running a 'standard' car and knowing you can participate in Light Car events  Cool
Shock, horror, so the fleets of Swallow Dorettis and DB2s will run with alternators.
It sounds like the VSCC has lost the plot, does anyone know where I can get an Engine Management System for my Anzani Frazier Nash?
Ah those night time emails. Apparently, having been told off for gossiping scurrilously about the imminent sale of TOPO, suddenly the sale of TOPO is official. Hope remaining members have been consulted, and asked where the new HQ should be.
Few things look more out of place than an alternator. One of the great attractions of old cars is the total absence of diodes and other electronics. Modern batteries really need voltage regulation but acheivable without an alternator (or electronics)
Twenty years ago I contrived  to get a short ride in a model T and was quite impressed. But with hinsight was it a T or not? Many have balanced cranks, Ford 10 cam grinds, raised cr, alterd diff ratios etc.

The Measham Rally won't be half the challenge it used to be now that the driver knows his headlights will still be bright at the end of the night.
Steve - what is TOPO please?
Is this alternator thing an accountant's response to what is happening with potential younger members demographic i.e. people wanting to do less, have absolute reliability and so on?
TOPO = The Old Post Office. VSCC headquarters.
It’s the thin end of the wedge in my view, as you modernise vintage cars, they gradually become hot rods, until you reach a point where they no longer represent the original.

I have no problem with employing a bit of hidden technology in an old car, if it is being used regularly, but I can’t help thinking that you are losing the essence of a vintage car and a well maintained original car can be every bit as reliable as a modern.

But I was born an old fogey...