The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VSCC Alternators
There are a number of lightweight alternators that work well. Kubota tractors is one source.

NGK have been hard hit by counterfeiters, sorry I don't know the trick to tell the genuine from the fake.

I understand the alternator from a safety point of view, but electric water pumps? Super for Austin Seven specials, I suppose, and they do seem to outnumber everything else!
Well, I suppose if its a special, almost anything goes. Before I bought my Seven, I rode two wheels for many years, and frankly, what attracted me to the Seven(among other things) was my time with my Velocette. Manual spark advance, six volt Miller dynamo, BTH magneto. Now I see Velos for sale with electric start conversions and 12 volt electrics. I toured on my Velo here in the US and rode it thousands of miles without a hitch. "Modernizing" can make things more like "Moderns", but at some point one looses the vintage aspect. I'll stick with the vintage feel and all its faults and advantages...

Erich in Mukilteo
I expected a good response and I have not been disappointed! I am a little surprised by the number in support though.
My own view is that now we are able to use LED bulbs, even a DFL dynamo producing 4 amps is perfectly OK. I have LED's on all my cars and think that they are the dog's B. 
However, in their wisdom, the VSCC now allow alternators but not LED's, so there we are!
Footnote: I say this having finally got my DFL dynamos running properly - a year ago I was browsing alternator conversions furtively...
Erich’s post has caught me bang to rights, I still ride my old Velocette MAC , which I’ve had since I had hair as long as Duncan’s used to be and it has a BTH magneto running 12 volts, but no one would know looking at it...my Seven is still six volts but LED technology means I don’t need 12 volts, it’s great a# it is.
Personally as a relatively young… younger…enthusiast all this really yanks my chain. If you want to compete with your Vintage or Post Vintage car it should be in the true spirit. For me thats no alternators, no hydraulic brakes unless originally fitted equipment, no electric water pumps or unsightly electric fans and with respect to ‘vintage’ pre Jan 31 Austins no girling brakes if you are designated Vintage.

It’s bad enough Bosch distributors are used but what’s next as already been mentioned, electronic ignition …. Fuel injection…. Disk brakes…

Rant over!
how are you with LEDs, Chris? It's ironic their absolute removal of load puts us right back with everything being "ok" when standard.
I wonder if there are suitable assessment criteria that allows one to categorise or rank the deterioration in vintage feel. (I suppose I'm trying to poersonally justify a 6V electronic cut out as well as bulbs... but that's on a GRP Special so who cares!)
It seems to be generally agreed that enhanced electrics of some sort improves safety. You can do it the easy & cheaper way or the other way.
Changing filament bulbs to LED bulbs is easy, quick, relatively inexpensive and fairly invisible (when they're off), and easily reversible (should you or subsequent owner wish).
Replacing the dynamo with an alternator is none of the above.
No-brainer (as they say).
Hi Jon, I agree with David C. Don’t really have an issue with led lighting as not really visible and does not give you any competitive advantage, though I must confess none of our cars have them installed and doubt I will be. 

If you are competing in a night rally having an alternator would most likely give you an unfair advantage as well as not being period.
Can we have a quick hands up here? How many of the critics are actually VSCC members?
Alan Fairless
Alan, a hands of current VSCC members, and then a count of former VSCC members?