The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VSCC Alternators
TOPO is The Old Post Office in Chipping Norton, for quite some time the HQ of the club in question. As to whether the target of young recruitable members will be encouraged by being able to fit alternators or electric water pumps on their now eligible TR2 or Kieft, I cannot say. Cars depicted in Cowbourne and other trialling histories, such as flat head Fords, Wolseley saloons or Standards are apparently much less vintage or sporting than a Jowett Jupiter. Never mind, for the lowly Ruby owner there is much on offer from PWA7C, Inter-Register, Ross & District, MAC……..
Yes, stuff needs to be at least hidden when bonnets open, as they are all flag-waving visually for "vintage"... even if people don't physically experience them. It's interesting that virtually no Nippies these days are operating just as their original spec suggested. Even if for obvious reasons.

Does beg the question as to who is actually making alternators which, presumably, are bespoke low volume conversions for all these vintage cars? I'm supposing that on more expensive cars, 600-800 quid on a reliable converted unit is perhaps a figure which equates to a couple of hours of someone's lost billed time....!
Of course the rule change doesn’t make them compulsory so why the fuss ?
Alan Fairless
I realise part of the challenge is to use an original spec. car but FFS, do you want to see it that drystone wall before you hit it?
My second special had a 12v system but it was cunningly disguised. A Fiat 500 dynamo innards fitted into an original dynamo body which had larger bore turned in it to accommodate. It kept a modern motorcycle gel battery well charged which I suppose for authenticity of appearance could have a vintage empty rubber Exide body.
I'm not suggesting anyone should cheat but then, where are you going to get original 1929 compressed air for the tyres?
Or pump them up by hand or foot. My wife's grandfather was a chauffeur/gardener in the 20's. After staying in London his boss would want the air in the tyres let out and clean Reading air put in. Pete
to be fair the Alternators available for Coil engined Austin 7's seem to be considerably poorer in reliability and durability terms than the original dynamo set up.
I don't see a problem with this, for many cars on many events a more reliable and higher output electrical system is a safety upgrade.

There's the spirit of vintage motoring, and there's being rear ended by a modern because you've run out of juice.
It's a bit more complicated as the alternator - unless disguised - has to be hidden. For non-VSCC members, here's the text:
"Following a review, Committee has agreed that with immediate effect, Alternators and Electric Water
Pumps will be accepted when fitted to cars competing in Club events. Unless disguised to be of period
appearance, any alternator or electric water pump fitted should be concealed within the car’s bodywork
so as not to be in open view. The eligibility classification of an otherwise ‘Standard’ car will change to
‘Modified’ if fitted with an alternator or electric water pump."Foll
This is probably too big to turn off the bracketing and fit inside a Seven dynamo housing https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/compact-li...alternator - but could it be run from the propshaft? Snag: it'll be Chinese and last the best part of 10 minutes.
I reckon that the more vintage cars that are fitted with dodgy Chinese electrics, the less we will see on the road.  I will be sticking to original Austin fitted parts, even if they are a bit worn.
An hour or so ago I was taking some bits to a shed near Pontypool. A chap emerged  from a workshop and said he could hear the Ruby ticking over nicely, and then asked me if it was 6 volt and what plugs were in it. It turned out that he had a couple of early VW Beetles, and had been having considerable plug problems. To paraphrase and leave out the rude bits, he and other Beetle pals now consider that anything marked NGK is a cheap and nasty Chinese product and to be avoided.