The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Narrow road, small car, Peak District.
(28-01-2022, 12:34 PM)Ivor Hawkins Wrote: Do I spy Lotus 7 front mudguards on the yellow van?

They do look similar,I was told Roach manufacturing made them.Bought the car as a doctors coupe/ special but turned it into this to be more practical and get the dogs in.However one of the dogs we have now almost fills the back on his own.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

What a lovely machine. I was going to make a comment about not having seen a van with a sunroof before, but now see that would have been totally inappropriate  Tongue
I find my inherited Jazz a pain on narrow metalled roads. The enormous windscren is a worry. Unlike the Seven and later the wheels are at the full width, which, combined with width, takes up as much road room as a light truck. Over the decades I have had a few incidents where keeping extreme left my car has started to slip down the edge camber; with rwd can power out but with fwd less control.
 The original baked enamel  thick seemingly high carbon Seven guards resist brushes, but with moderns the merest touch leaves a crease in the tinfoil.
For fifty years , several times a year, in my ancient conveyances, I have travelled 360 mile up and down NI and hunted out all not too indirect alternative routes. Grass growing in the centre is a good sign but now hard to find, and near everything has succumbed to large bulldozers, there being no ancient walls or bridges or buidings to obstruct.
Now I can see them better they are classic “ailes de papillon “ much used on French cyclecars. I’ve made several sets for customers and my own cars and three-wheelers        
Is that a BSA ? Someone had one near where I lived around 1970-1, I once saw it with another chassis strapped to the side.Never got to meet its owner,or what happened to it.
What are they like to drive ?
Yes, Dave, that's Duncan's BSA. Seen it a number of times but no idea how it goes, but well I imagine. My Father had a four wheel BSA in the late 1930's. He told me that he liked it a lot but on the unmetaled roads that existed then, the steeper it got, the more the front wheels spun and lost drive. This is it and the only photo I have of him in the many cars he had pre-war. On the back it says 'BSA Scout 1938. 9HP SV engine. Top Speed about 75 - 80 MPH. Dorset.' He swaped it once war broke out for a significantly more economical A7 Ruby of which his only comment was '...the least said the better but it did its job'!

.jpg   BSA 1.jpg (Size: 31.87 KB / Downloads: 145)

Steve
A few of the trials boys fitted bearers to carry tractor weights or an ammunition box full of tools to help the fwd traction.
At last year’s National rally I was able to leave the ride-out party standing when an open lane presented itself. I haven’t weighed my trike but it’s considerably lighter than a standard trike and with twin Amals I managed an indicated 70mph before discretion beat valour! There was more left to go but…