The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Narrow road, small car, Peak District.
In a modern, this is a narrow road.
BTW click the image to see the amazing detail (even in an image downgraded to fit the forum limit) retained in the shadows, highlights - and the colour balance - that an iPhone achieves even on auto setting. Anyone else tempted to ditch their snap-shot camera for a phone?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Nah, that's not a narrow road - THIS is a narrow road!

Typical of the 'D' roads in the Cévennes National Park, the roads although metalled were never really intended for motor vehicles and remain basically glorified carriage routes. They follow the contours of the hills as the maximum gradient a horse could pull a laden cart was 1 in 20. If you meet another vehicle, usually someone has to back off.

Photo taken with Samsung Android phone.

[Image: IMG-20210223-WA0001.jpg]
I guess if you can do this on an iPhone 6 (this film is 7 years old and the phone technology seriously out of date) there is every good reason for just using a phone instead of a camera..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfrxfhtDE_0&t=110s
(27-01-2022, 01:53 PM)Reckless Rat Wrote: Nah, that's not a narrow road - THIS is a narrow road!

Typical of the 'D' roads in the Cévennes National Park, the roads although metalled were never really intended for motor vehicles and remain basically glorified carriage routes. They follow the contours of the hills as the maximum gradient a horse could pull a laden cart was 1 in 20. If you meet another vehicle, usually someone has to back off.

Photo taken with Samsung Android phone.

[Image: IMG-20210223-WA0001.jpg]
I like the entertaining, unguarded drop..... it reminds me of some of the (now closed) very narrow alpine routes in Italy.
A bit narrower - but I think that the track from Tideswell to Millers Dale might be tigher still.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

That's more like it!
Still fascinated by the stones. Seems a lot to all come from the adjacent fields. Do stones keep working to the surface? As mentioned before I have read that many English lanes are sunken because the winter mud blew away as dust every year for centuries.
In the 50s and 60s here as soon as ventured into the lesser dead end roads in the foothills narrow sectione were frequent. I can recall my father reversing the Austin to a passing place on several occasions. It is so easy to widen with modern machinery near everything has been, often triggered by a slip.
It's limestone country, Bob so there is a never ending supply of rock for wall building. The dry stone walls, which can be found in many areas on the UK date back to the Enclosures Acts
https://courses.lumenlearning.com/suny-h...osure-act/
Hello Bob,

Yes, stones do work their way to the surface. At the Derby & Lancs Gliding Club field above great Hucklow, it was once the practice for everyone to walk the field every few weeks and collect what had risen. Now, this is not necessary - perhaps everything has settled down? The Peak District was once mostly covered by trees and when cleared the land given over mainly to sheep and lead mining (but for the latter, the Romans got there first).
Thanks fellahs.

Yet more info tostuff into the memory banks and dispalce something else...
At least the roadside walls are not disguised as hedges as some in Devon. it intrigued me that the walls were maintained. Here roadsisde ones would be full of holes where cars had exitted. I suppose as they still serve a purpose are repaired.