The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Narrow road, small car, Peak District.
Otherwise known as the Brazil nut effect after the tendency for Brazil nuts to rise to the surface of Muesli.
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!

.jpeg   1 Scan.jpeg (Size: 48.57 KB / Downloads: 253) Now this is a narrow road not a million miles from you Tony.
While out walking or driving I’ve often tried to calculate how long it took to build the miles and miles of dry-stone walls that exist in eg the Yorkshire Dales National park. At approximately a ton per yard, the miles and miles of walling that can be seen from almost any high point continues to astonish me. Is this what the farm labourers did in the winter? At say 2-3 yards a day for two men a single mile must have taken 600 days? Clearing the stones from the fields must have taken years in itself, when did they start the work? 12thC?15th C? Having finished the cathedrals did the workforce turn to walling while the masons went in to the next ecclesiastical project? Or as a result of the enclosures Act in the 18thC? The population must have been either huge (cf Cobbett) with unemployment massive or tiny (more likely cf Malthus) and in need of a respite from idleness?
The numbers are beyond my ken! I suppose I could Google it but trying work it out while walking is more interesting! Sad old git on a ramble, sorry! I’ll get on with some work!
The vast majority of our present-day rural boundaries date from the mid-eighteenth century - as Duncan suggests, as a result of the various enclosures acts. Certainly the majority of the the Yorkshire and Peak District stone walls date from this period; elsewhere old hedges can usually be dated by identifying the number of species within a 30-metre/100-foot length - one species for every hundred years.
Another narrow road,this one 350 miles or so from the Derbyshire ones,at the end of our lane.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Here in Nottinghamshire we have slightly softer edges to our roads! Sorry it's not a Seven, but the Lancia is only 4" wider than a short-chassis Seven (this road is actually on a local bus route).

Do I spy Lotus 7 front mudguards on the yellow van?
If they are Lotus they’re still good looking IMHO.
You wouldn't fit a Range Rover down here because they don't like getting their tyres mucky !

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mind you don't dazzle oncoming traffic with those extra bright headlamp bulbs! ;-}