The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2022 8hp quadricycle review
(22-01-2022, 07:34 PM)Steve Jones Wrote:
(22-01-2022, 07:15 PM)Nick Lettington Wrote: Austin A35s roll... I just managed to get mine back from the brink, driving back from the pub the day I passed my driving test. My passengers weren't sure whether they were impressed or shocked at my driving... Different times!

Austin 7s roll as well but, like you, Nick, I managed to bring this one 'back from the brink' and so didn't break my arm Sad

There have been other occasions when things didn't end quite so well Blush

The crash test dummy in the passenger seat doesn't look unduly concerned!
Many years ago when I was auto crossing my Mini, a fellow competitor had a Renault Dauphine. He turned it over a number of times when the swing axle tucked. It was never a big deal, just roll the car back upright.

Erich in Mukilteo
"That's not my personal experience! Way back in the early 1960s I went to Italy on a school trip; crossing the Alps in a coach we encountered an overturned 2CV. Needless to say we stopped to ask if we could help, but the response was something like 'No, it's no problem, it's always doing this'. Perhaps you don't consider an Alpine hairpin as 'normal conditions'?"

I may be mistaken but I'd guess that there was something awry with the suspension in that case...
At 17 I rolled my A35 quite easily. Landed on it's roof in a field.
I managed to put the works A35 van on its side reversing in the snow on the apron of some council garages, having jump started a mate's Cortina. Fortunately there were enough lads about to right it and it appeared no worse for its mishap.
A certain contributor to this forum gained a reputation for upsetting his Seven; I think he may have escaped on this occasion, but he wasn't always so lucky:

.jpg   002.jpg (Size: 74.85 KB / Downloads: 181)
I’m sure I’ve mentioned this before on the forum but when I was gainfully employed as a motoring journalist and a member of the Guild of Motoring Writers, the Guild used to run an annual test day at Donington.

Myself and the late lamented motoring journalist Tom Murphy took on the Citroen challenge and flat out into Redgate I hauled the wheel over as far as I could...all four wheels remained on the ground and we were in fits of laughter, we proceeded to try everything on another two laps of the track.

It was incredible fun, but sadly we didn’t qualify for the cash. I love 2cvs.
2CVs are excellent. On the way to work there used to be a 90deg left, followed by a 90 right. Of course I used to experiment with how fast various cars would take them. With my 2cv I had enough tyre deflection the the rims were sparking on the tarmac (I’m told) but I never managed to lift a wheel.
Alan Fairless
I experimented with a faster more sweeping line through the old Riches chicane at an Snetterton sprint event in the late '80s. Would have been a lot less damage if I'd just hit the tyre wall rather than roll the car trying to correct a lurid slide. When they go, they go, I momentarily lost conciousness during this happening but from the damage, it must have gone all the way round at least once. I came to in the upside down car with my crash helmet trapped between the bootlid and the tarmac; the petrol breather hose had set up a siphon effect as the car went round. so 4 the star running down my back didn't feel good. Fortunately, the marshals were quick to right the car and get me out.

[Image: 51837711726_129a257847_z.jpg]

The scrutineer made a big deal of removing the 'approved for motorsport' sticker from my crash helmet, perhaps he though I was going to patch it up with some bondo and give it a quick respray.

[Image: 51836763107_5c350906c2_z.jpg]

BTW, if you are in a rollover in an open car, resist the temptation to put your hand out to hold the car up. I only got a broken wrist, a mate broke both arms when he rolled his Sprite at a speed hillclimb.

Obviously, I mended the car, but it was quite a few years before I managed to find a replacement 'Bluemels Brooklands' steering wheel rim, so I had a tactile reminder of the potential dangers of speed in the big flat ground into the outside edge of the 'old' rim.
(23-01-2022, 12:57 PM)Stuart Giles Wrote: I experimented... Would have been a lot less damage if I'd just hit the tyre wall rather than roll the car trying to correct a lurid slide. When they go, they go...

Is this what they call thread drift?