The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Good paint stripper?
(17-01-2022, 11:08 PM)Hugh Barnes Wrote: That's the sort of accolade I want to see on any product of quality

'Can be lethal'

:o)

You can kill someone with a pencil (or three people if you're John Wick)

I've had reasonable results with this https://www.homebase.co.uk/bartoline-tx1...15144.html 
Takes time and it's not a single application product but it performed better than some of the recent stuff.

c
(17-01-2022, 11:08 PM)Hugh Barnes Wrote: That's the sort of accolade I want to see on any product of quality

'Can be lethal'

:o)

Move to California! Everything there is labelled as potentially lethal.

Whenever I accidentally spill brake fluid it seems to take the paint off whatever it touches.

Simon
According to the roof of my car bird poo will take off any paint it touches, so just find yourself a tree and a couple of pigeons and you are away.
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
Thank you all, some good suggestions there which I will follow up on...
Brake fluid......available free at your local small garage from their used bin........but not the silicone fluid!!!!
My ST38 (and the additional E04A-13407 stop/tail lamp) looked like they had been smeared with semi fluid black enamel by a ham fisted gorilla using a crayfish tail in lieu of a brush. Multiple coats too. Whatever the product was (Hammerite smooth?), it just shrugged off the usual paint removal suspects so I asked my friendly local engine reconditioning shop if I could put in their hot tank (the one the engine blocks go in before they're worked on) overnight. 99.9% removed and what was left in the awkward spots came off easily  with a soft brass wire brush.
It is interesting. I opted for some 'Starchem Synstrp' which got the most votes - publically and privately - which contains Parazine's recommended constituent. One of the ST38s came up as clean as a whistle but the other, which looked as if it was totally original though a little scabby, has resisted any efforts to strip it. I wonder whether it had been stove enamelled and that made the difference?
(23-01-2022, 09:47 AM)Hugh Barnes Wrote: It is interesting. I opted for some 'Starchem Synstrp' which got the most votes - publically and privately - which contains Parazine's recommended constituent. One of the ST38s came up as clean as a whistle but the other, which looked as if it was totally original though a little scabby, has resisted any efforts to strip it. I wonder whether it had been stove enamelled and that made the difference?

Yeah, I don't know what that stove enamelling is all about. One of the number plates on my Top Hat was finished with it and I couldn't get it off at all.  There was a discussion thread about it some time ago but no-one had a definitive answer as to what the materials or the process was.
Nitromores ok for small parts like your rear lamps, apply stripper wrap in a plastic bag ,so stuff doesn't dry out,
remove paint with wire wool the next day.
It was good stuff once.
Good Luck.
Sadly, in my experience, Nitromors is not the product it used once to be.. :o(