The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Good paint stripper?
After the emasculation of Nitromors, what do people use nowadays? I have been using Biostrip to some good effect, but wondered whether anyone had any suggestions for a killer product?

Hugh
Depends what you are stripping Hugh.
If it is alloy I would strongly advise against chemicals and use soda blasting.
If it is steel ,chemical stripping is OK I take the item for dipping locally having found modern strippers one can buy to be ineffective.
I'm refurbishing a couple of ST38s, which are pressed steel... I don't have access to anyone who does stripping locally (well, not since I was a young man..)
wouldn't something as small as that just respond to wire wool, a Dremel "chimney brush"-type wheel and/or the electrolytic de-rust method?
Hi Hugh,

"Perfecta" paint stripper from Mylands is pretty much as good as Nitromors used to be. You need to fill in a form to prove that you will not drink it or do anything else daft with it. It works well.
thanks Lance. I dont think wire wool will touch the original paint and, sadly, I dont have a dremel, so a paint on solution is really what I seek..
I've been using this stuff since Nitromors stopped being a paint stripper and became a paint pacifier https://www.carcolourservices.co.uk/prod...-stripper/ it's very effective, but wear decent PPE, it burns your skin just like the old fashioned stuff.
the varnish stripper in the mauve can they sell ar Wilkos is pretty much as per the old nitromorse
Have a look at the hazard label, if the stripper is to be effective, it will contain Methylene Chloride (Dichloromethane for the under 60's). According to a law passed in 2010, this substance is restricted to products "for professional use only" and it's removal from Nitromors and other consumer products left them without teeth.

There are a number of eBay sellers who make these professional products available to you and me. 

Make sure that you use any stripper with Methylene Chloride in a well ventilated place. It can be lethal......
That's the sort of accolade I want to see on any product of quality

'Can be lethal'

:o)