The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fabric Saloon Unrestored
(17-01-2022, 01:03 PM)Robert Leigh Wrote: This car is on the DVLA records, with a new V5C issued in 2014.

and taxed until March 2022!
(17-01-2022, 12:55 PM)Tony Griffiths Wrote: Credit was given - it's on Facebook. Anything on Facebook is public and there to be shared. One can always go to the original post if more details are required. Searching on Facebook is nigh-on impossible and I've saved and stored lots of very interesting pictures and information on all sorts of subjects. I find that attempts to locate past posts on Facebook usually prove - unless very recent - impossible.

Tony - you requested to join a closed, private group which had a brief for discussion. That is why you, along with 40 others, can go back to material presently. If someone took you off, then you wouldn't!
(17-01-2022, 01:39 PM)JonE Wrote:
(17-01-2022, 12:55 PM)Tony Griffiths Wrote: Credit was given - it's on Facebook. Anything on Facebook is public and there to be shared. One can always go to the original post if more details are required. Searching on Facebook is nigh-on impossible and I've saved and stored lots of very interesting pictures and information on all sorts of subjects. I find that attempts to locate past posts on Facebook usually prove - unless very recent - impossible.

Tony - you requested to join a closed, private group which had a brief for discussion. That is why you, along with 40 others, can go back to material presently. If someone took you off, then you wouldn't!

Is it your group? If so, and it's hyper private and you want to keep the data secret, why not put on a statement that says "Entirely private. You must not share this information with anybody. We want to keep everything secret and to ourselves. We don't care if something posted will help somebody - that's the way it is, we are entirely selfish." So far, I've not noticed anything like that at all.....
Whatever.
Hello all

The photos are from my collection and the car is now in the hands of my father. I can’t take credit for the whole restoration as a lot of the hard work was carried out by the previous owner.

Some photos of the fabric covering process

And completed

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thank you for sharing these Peter - they are very interesting and useful.

With regards to the posts above, I am confused, what is the merit in setting up a private group for these kinds of images? Surely we should be sharing them for all, the quality of future rebuilds rely on them.

It is the very reason I started the GE Picture Archive and the reason so much time and money has gone into the A7CA Archive.

Give freely and you will receive much back in it's place, in my experience.
With respect to Facebook.and copyright. 

While posting pictures on facebook does give 'Facebook' certain rights in respect to the use of the photos. It doesn't give cart blanche for every tom Dick or harry to use them without consequences. 

Now I have no doubt the post here is for research purposes and thus well in the fair use category for copyright. 

But, it is usefull to understand the reality nevertheless.

If these photos were used in a book without permission of the original poster for example, someone might find themselves in hot water.
(17-01-2022, 09:32 PM)Hedd_Jones Wrote: With respect to Facebook.and copyright. 

While posting pictures on facebook does give 'Facebook' certain rights in respect to the use of the photos. It doesn't give cart blanche for every tom Dick or harry to use them without consequences. 

Now I have no doubt the post here is for research purposes and thus well in the fair use category for copyright. 

But, it is usefull to understand the reality nevertheless.

If these photos were used in a book without permission of the original poster for example, someone might find themselves in hot water.

Indeed - with just one slight, if amusing, snag. Every day 350 million photographs are posted on Facebook - that's 127,750,000,000 per year. Tricky, if you want a fee for an illustration of aunt Maude that appears on page 96 of something published in Peru..... Some rather interesting - indeed sobering - facts about the reach of Facebook: https://www.omnicoreagency.com/facebook-statistics/
(17-01-2022, 07:46 PM)Peter Johnson Wrote: Hello all

The photos are from my collection and the car is now in the hands of my father. I can’t take credit for the whole restoration as a lot of the hard work was carried out by the previous owner.

And completed
It looks a lovely job Peter.Nice to see the before and after photo's of the car.
ps I have an original unrestored Alum bodied RK if you wish to do another.
(17-01-2022, 10:25 PM)Austin in the Shed Wrote:
(17-01-2022, 07:46 PM)Peter Johnson Wrote: Hello all

And completed
It looks a lovely job Peter.Nice to see the before and after photo's of the car.
ps I have an original unrestored Alum bodied RK if you wish to do another.

I would love to restore an aluminium bodied car. I think that the RK is one of the prettiest of the Austin bodied cars. However, the fabric saloon had to go to make space for this (Mr Jones will know this one well!). However, if I could identify some garaging in the Solihull area…

I am 100% in agreement with the idea of giving freely. Members of this forum have given generously of their time and knowledge and supported the restoration of my cars. Whether or not my permission was sought, I am happy for the photos to appear here. 

Peter